Secondary carbonation/soapy flavored pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sokerkeepr

Reaction score
I recently bottled a Pilsner Lager that was in primary for 10 days, followed by secondary for 14 days. I pitched the initial Wyeast Pilsner/Lager yeast as usual, but saw no activity after 3 days (it was 3 months old, should have used a starter). I then created a yeast starter using Munton's Ale yeast (dry) and pitched it in the same wort after it sat with the initial underactive yeast for 3 or 4 days. I did see activity after a day or so at this point. I know that many suggest not to mix yeast types (lager and ale), but I don't have any homebrew stores around that carry lager yeast (mixed yeast brew is better than no brew at all, right?)
Bottling day: I boiled my 16 oz of water and dissolved the 1.25 cups of DME in it, then cooled it. I then poured it into my brew, only to have the carboy begin gushing as if I had poured vinegar on baking soda (not quite as fast or furious). Does anyone know why this may have happened? My sanitization procedures were excellent, and although I have not ruled this out, I do not believe that infection is the culprit. I also tasted the beer prior to bottling, and it tasted somewhat soapy. I did ferment the brew at around 63 deg F, and given that it was a lager yeast, I suspected that the beer would be more of a steam ale than a lager. I also understand that much of the desired flavor in a pilsner comes during the cold lagering phase. I plan to do this with some bottles (I don't have the refrigerator space for all 50 bottles).
Will my bottles that aren't lagered still taste okay if aged/conditioned at 63 deg F? Will the soapy flavor dissipate with conditioning/lagering?

I then poured it into my brew, only to have the carboy begin gushing as if I had poured vinegar on baking soda (not quite as fast or furious). Does anyone know why this may have happened?

That was most likely just CO2 coming out of solution. When beer ferments, not all of the CO2 produced is released to the air. You will get a low level of carbonation.

I did ferment the brew at around 63 deg F, and given that it was a lager yeast, I suspected that the beer would be more of a steam ale than a lager. I also understand that much of the desired flavor in a pilsner comes during the cold lagering phase. I plan to do this with some bottles (I don't have the refrigerator space for all 50 bottles).
Will my bottles that aren't lagered still taste okay if aged/conditioned at 63 deg F? Will the soapy flavor dissipate with conditioning/lagering?

The soapy flavors could be the hops. This very well could fade with aging.

YOur beer could still turn out just fine. It is hard to say which yeast did the bulk of the fermentation. Lager yeast don't make as much krausen, so it is possible that they were active all along. Sometimes lids/airlocks aren't well sealed and CO2 leaks out elsewhere so even though the airlock isn't bubbling, you still can have fermentation going on.

pjj2ba: Thank you for your reply. I hope you're right. My primary this time was the brewer's best plastic one, so the lid may have leaked some (although I did set two 10 lb weight plates on top to press down the seal). I can't blame the airlock, because I did lift the lid a couple time to actually look at the beer rather than trusting the airlock to show signs of ferm.
I have since switched to carboys, as they are obviously not oxygen permeable, and the stoppers/airlocks (or blow-off tube) do a nice job of really sealing everything in. Plus, you get see the yeast in action :)

Latest posts

Back