Question about changing the fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B0rnFrustr8ed

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm fermenting a BB Oktoberfest right now. I have it in my new (old) keezer at 52 degrees right now. It's been going for about a week and I haven't tested the gravity since brew day. Smells great.

Anyway, I finally got my kegging setup in the mail last week (4 cornies, 5# CO2, all the line, etc.). I was so excited that I cleaned, sanitized, and kegged a pale ale I had been fermenting for about 4 weeks. Everything seems fine there. However, now I have the PA kegged at 52 degrees in the keezer with the Oktoberfest.

My question is: Now that most of the fermentation has occurred in the Oktoberfest, would it be harmful to pull it out of the 52 degree environment and keep it around 60-62 in my basement for another week or two?

I know that this can cause estery flavors, but will the effect be minimized if most of the fermentation has happened already?

Alternatively, would I be harming the PA if I let it sit kegged for a week or two at 52 degrees?

It really wont do anything to the beer. The first 3 or 4 days of fermentation are the most important, after that its not as big of a deal. And actually, raising the temp like that will help the yeast to finish eating anything that it missed. No worries

The Pale will be fine in the keg @ 52. It will take time to condition in the keg anyway.
I'd leave the Lager alone and let it finish fermenting @ 52 for at least another week before moving it up for a D rest.

Bull

Back