Pre-brew day prep. Aluminum Kettle seasoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leggoma

Reaction score
Just made a video of me seasoning my new aluminum brew kettle. Not sure what value the video is, but if nothing else, a before and after look at a seasoned aluminum kettle could be educational right?

http://youtu.be/WtbZBTyxe6M

pretty amazing how much it changes when you boil in it. I'm not sure if it changes anything taste wise as I seasoned mine too, but if the metal discolors like that, it's gotta change something

Nice work on the kettle, Leggoma! I'm looking to possibly do something similar soon. Do you happen to have a parts list for the modifications?:mug:

One mistake i made is that the thermometer probe is a tad too high. it sits like half an inch under 5 gallons. I think when I was filling it, i may have added an extra gallon mistakenly and placed it for 6 gallons.

I think it will be ok though. Worse case scenario, 10 gallon batches.

Parts List: (all on amazon) Again, I bought all the parts like a year, year and a half ago at slightly cheaper prices, but the following is still pretty cheap for a 15 gallon setup.

kettle - Thunder Group 15 gallon aluminum kettle
ball valve - 1/2" Weldless Bulkhead w/ Stainless Steel valve
thermometer - Thermometer- 3" Dial with 2" Stainless Probe (not the exact one, but similar)
thermabob kit - Weldless Thermabob Adapter
drill bit - Neiko Titanium Step Drill Bit - 1/4" to 1-3/8" in 1/8" Increments, 10 Steps

pretty amazing how much it changes when you boil in it. I'm not sure if it changes anything taste wise as I seasoned mine too, but if the metal discolors like that, it's gotta change something

Yeah, I just drained the water out after seasoning. The last couple of inches of water was pretty cloudy white. I'm glad that crap isn't going into my beer. Brew day is tomorrow morning. I'm not expecting to get any off flavors, but I'll report how it turns out.

Back