Porter in a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canonhead311

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and determined that a secondary fermenter isn't really worth the risk. However, I just brewed a AHS Whiskey Barrel Porter that needs secondary to add the barrel woodchips. So here is my situation, I am leaving town for 3 months and wanted this to be ready for Xmas. So right now my plan is put it in the secondary and then leave it at a temperature at 60* or less for three months. I am a bit worried that since it's a porter I don't really need clarity but I'm not too worried about appearance. Does anyone have any advice to make sure this batch will turnout well? Such as temps or additives to preserve flavors? My wife could probably bottle it sooner for me while I'm gone but I'm not sure I want her messing with it.

Thanks

much like dry hops, oak can be added to the primary as well, just do it gently. if it's chips you should extract everything within a week or 2 if you're not leaving soon. if it's gunna sit another 3 months i'd put it in secondary, but it probably would be fine to just leave it tho.

Back