Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oilly, buttery what happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
ntalkers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a bit confused as I've had the same issues lately. Was the 70 degrees for two weeks not a diacetyl rest?

I brewed an Oktoberfest, fermented for a month at 50, raised to 60 for 4 days and I think I tasted diacetyl. Yesterday, I kegged a bitter, using wlp005, that had fermented for 10 days at 68-70. I tasted the same buttery flavor in this ale. Maybe my perception of diacetyl is wrong, but I definitely get a buttery popcorn feel on the roof of my mouth and tongue. I don't taste butter, but I haven't discovered this in my other ales.

Thanks,
Nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

English Ales are known for having diacetyl.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalkers View Post
I'm a bit confused as I've had the same issues lately. Was the 70 degrees for two weeks not a diacetyl rest?

I brewed an Oktoberfest, fermented for a month at 50, raised to 60 for 4 days and I think I tasted diacetyl. Yesterday, I kegged a bitter, using wlp005, that had fermented for 10 days at 68-70. I tasted the same buttery flavor in this ale. Maybe my perception of diacetyl is wrong, but I definitely get a buttery popcorn feel on the roof of my mouth and tongue. I don't taste butter, but I haven't discovered this in my other ales.

Thanks,
Nick
WLP005 is also known as Ringwood. This strain can produce very clean flavors but is does require a bit more care to use. You need to make up a BIG starter and use quite a lot of pure O2 to get it going.

Underpitching and not using oxygen will cause the yeast to produce quite a bit of diacetyl.

Quick Reply