Need to add flavor in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LamIAm

Reaction score
I brewed an all extract beer for the light beer drinkers around here. 4 lbs of LME, 2 lbs of Rice Syrup, and .5 oz x 2 of hop pellets that i cannot remember (I think Willamette and something??).

Its been in the keg for 2.5 weeks now and I just don't like the flavor - or lack of. It goes between bitter/green to blah. My wife (who likes light beer) doesn't even really like it.

I want to add some flavor so I can blow this keg and get my Hefe on tap. Any thoughts on adding some flavor to make it drinkable? I thought about trying the following (not all of them, just one or the other):

1) 2 cups of orange juice or lemon juice
2) 1/2 cup of triple sec
3) Dry hop with Cascade
4) 4 cups of apple juice (kind of like Shock Top's Apple Wheat)
5) Zesting an orange and half a grapefruit and steep in boiling water

Other thoughts?

I can't bring myself to dump alcohol. When I was a poor college student many years ago, I had to budget my beer/liquor and dumping beer goes against my principles.

I've thought about making a BL Clamato Chelada out of it. I have enough bottles I could just bottle it and get the Heff on in the next few weeks.

I am going to try a variation of different techniques, by the glass, and see what turns out best.

Experiment - try putting something (juice, triple sec, etc.) in your glass instead of in your keg. Mix it up one glass at a time. A little variety might help you chug this brew down.

You could also try mixing it with another beer like Guinness for a 1/2 and 1/2?

Get a hop sock and put a couple oz of Cascade in it and dry hop the keg were it is. Just purge, toss in the sanitized sock/Cascade, and let it sit for a day or two. The long you struggle through it, the better it will get.

Not a great option for a bandaid, but it'll get you through.

I'm drinking a cup of AHS Lawnmower as we speak. I would say it tastes like a hoppy, better miller lite. All the miller guys loved it, my only two beer lover friends had no trouble drinking it. I still didn't feel proud of it.

I too was once a poor college student who would drink whatever I could afford. I would never throw out a beer. Just invite the buddies over, and let them go at it.

I'm drinking a cup of AHS Lawnmower as we speak. I would say it tastes like a hoppy, better miller lite. All the miller guys loved it, my only two beer lover friends had no trouble drinking it. I still didn't feel proud of it.

That's kind of what I was going for. My wife wanted a Coors Lite clone. I wanted something better.

One teaspoon of triple sec for 12 oz is tasty but a tad too much orange. I'll experiment a little more but this isn't exactly the worst problem to have.

If you want something of Coors Lite, might I suggest a Blonde Ale... You will get more of the malty flavor with that, and I have found it to be very drinkable even by people who don't normally like beer. Maybe try raspberries, they are strong flavor and aroma wise, and relatively cheap, and go well with a lite ale.

Dont put in the apple juice. It takes forever to ferment and after fermentation, a long time is required to calm the taste. I would go with a mix of triple sec and orange. Both inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is my noob ignorance; but why would i need the AJ to ferment if I was adding to the keg?

Latest posts

Back