Got a wild hair - drinking 1st homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I bottled this past Saturday and now 5 days later I decided to say F it and try my first bottle of homebrew. I filled 48 1/2 bottles up of an English Brown Ale extract, so I figured I'd throw the half bottle in the fridge and tip er up to see what's been created to this point.

I know it'll be good and green but I can't know what green taste like if I don't drink one early right? That's my reasoning so here goes nuttin...........

:p:tank:

Good for you! Despite the wisdom of waiting, I think it's important, especially if you're new at brewing, to taste along the way so to speak.
How do you know that your beer improved if you don't know what unimproved tastes like.
Let us know what you found inside the bottle.

I drank one a week from my first batch just to see what the different stages are. At 4 weeks I threw a party and the wit was a hit all 46 were gone. I will not touch anymore beers until the three week point.

Verdict is in!

5 days later and I got a big pssshhhh sound when I popped the cap which I was kind of surprised to hear. It is still very watery in texture and the head was minimal if there was any at all it was gone in a second. The flavor is brown ale but a little on the sweet side - I hope the sweetness will fade over the next week or two (I used just under 5oz of sugar/5 gal).

All in all I can tell it's going to taste like beer and seems that it will taste like pretty good damn beer if I do say so myself :D

I like to try one after 5 days myself just to make sure all is well, after that I let the rest go at least another two weeks

just be glad you didn't get a gusher from a half filled bottle as that is usually the norm if fully carbed and a normal amount of priming sugar was used.

Congrats on your first batch! Definitely wait a few weeks for the rest to condition, you will be glad you did!! Patience is the hardest part of homebrewing to learn, IMHO!!:D

This was my practice for many brews as I wanted to taste the progression as they aged. It's part of brewing.
Tasting.
It's good.
Yeah.

someone else might chime in....

but i seem to recall bottling 1/2 way is a bad idea...

something about headspace, pressure, bottle bombs.....

Back