Force Carbonation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtarselli

Reaction score
Here we go again, I am sure you have all either asked, or been asked but I am not patient enough to read every review so asking again is the way to go.

I have a belgian on tap (for shame, i know) and i had it hooked up to 30PSI at room temp for 48 hours. i shook it a few times to dissolve the CO2 into the beer and now that i have it hooked up on draft it is coming out all foam, and though the head settles to a nice bishops collar, the beer is flat and the foam is thick. I have tried to degas and sit twice and its still all foam and flat beer. pouring at 10PSI at 44F, beer line out is over 4 feet.

Is this a matter of patience and more degassing?

Matt

A lot of people using forcing carbing and get good results but I personally like set and forget method. I set my reg to 12 PSI and forget about it for at least 2 weeks. This will give time to carb up and condition a little.

Is everything at the same temp...meaning the lines, the beer, the shank? If the lines or shank are warmer, that would cause CO2 to come out of suspension.

Having the beer line at 4 feet might be the issue. Is this the first time you are using the kegerator? People say the rule of thumb is 10 feet. There are calculators out there to help you determine beer line length based on a few dimensions of your set up but 10 feet seems to work for most people. Mine are all at 10 feet and I never get excess foam.

I've heard at least over 5 feet long for the beer lines is the minimum length. I've got 3 feet gas lines, and 5 feet beer lines and I've got no foaming problems. Not saying you CAN'T use 10 feet lines, almost everything I read before I got my kegging equipment recommended at least 5 feet.

Back