Did I ruin it? Thread #7,683

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geremiah

Reaction score
Well here's the scoop..
I had brewed some AK-47 Pale Mild about 2 months ago. It had been fermenting happily in it's bucket. When I went to look at the airlock the water level was below where it needed to be. So for who know how long, air has been able to reach my precious beer!

Ruined right?

He said 2 months ago not 2 weeks ago. There wouldn't have been any positive pressure by the end, but that doesn't mean it's ruined. I've had this happen a few times before and the beer turned out fine. It's possible you'll have some oxidation but it'll probably be fine.

RDWHAHB. CO2 is heavier than air so it would still have a nice blanket if it wasn't disturbed. (Doesn't need to be under pressure)

On a side note, consider using vodka in your airlock.

Bottle it now.

2 months, no point letting it go any more.
And THEN let us know whats up.

Cheers!

RDWHAHB. CO2 is heavier than air so it would still have a nice blanket if it wasn't disturbed. (Doesn't need to be under pressure)

On a side note, consider using vodka in your airlock.

agreed. if it looks ok and tastes and smells good then you'll be fine

you're fine. lesson learned for the future, always make sure you have plenty of liquid in there, but I doubt very much you have a problem.

Bottle, and enjoy your beer!

PS. I second using vodka (not tequila, it has flavor) in your airlock. That's what I do whenever I use one (which is rare, as I prefer blowoff tubes)

Back