Bad start to mead making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip54321

Reaction score
Hello Forum users. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on my first batch of mead making.
I am a beekeeper and a month ago on 12 June I made a large batch of mead using honey I had harvested from my bee hives. I had enough for 3.5 x gallon demijohns.
I mixed the honey with water until I reached the correct starting gravity parameters and added brewers yeast (unfortunately I later found it was over a year past expiry date).
After 36 hours the airlocks were happily bubbling away- some batches faster than others. I left them alone and today, a month later checked the gravity again. Here are my results: #1 1.105-1.024, #2 1.107-1.088, #3 1.114-1.102, #4 1.104-1.094. It looks like only #1 has been behaving as it should and the others are slow. They are all still bubbling, but only slowly. Can you please give me some advice as to what I should do because it took a lot of time and effort to harvest the honey and make the mead and I would hate to have to throw it away. Thank you.

I had enough for 3.5 x gallon demijohns.
Not sure what that means for the amounts you have, but I'm guessing the water and yeast were mixed in each one individually and you may just have different ratios in each one.
About 30 years ago when I was taking a walk downtown I came across a guy from a nearby major honey producing area who was selling his own honey out of his car at a very good price....I bought far more than I could ever consume before it would crystalize, so I deciced to make some mead in mason-jars. For the first 'test-batch' I made that night, I just used the bread yeast I had on hand and tried a few different water/honey ratios (mind you, I didn't bother reading up on it..I was just going from what I had read about mead years earlier in history books. :p ). A few weeks in I had some unexpected guests arrive from out of town in the evening after the stores had closed so we decided to try the 'mead'... It was pretty good and we all got very trashed and consequently very hung-over when everyone awoke all over mine and my girlfriends apartments (in the same building) the next day. I went to the library and read up a bit and on the way home, stopped by a wine-making store and got some champagne yeast and let the next batch go longer......until the friends came back a couple months later...and when we all groggily awoke the next day, we agreed that it was much better, but could still use some work.
Point is; You have mead...How good it is, is entirely up to you and your standards for satisfaction. It may not need 'rescuing' at all, or it may benefit from some berries or something.
I just wanted to share this so that you don't have to have any anxiety over it.
PS> If it really is unsatisfying, it still makes for an excellent marinade for pork and chicken, in the stove, crockpot or BBQ as well as some salad-dressings.

Do you know the alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used? If it's low it might have stalled out and you might need to pitch some "stronger" yeast.

Very old yeast, no mention of nutrients.

Brewers yeast. What kind? Dry, liquid? Strain? How much? Did each jug get the same amount? From the same package?

How are you measuring gravity?

At what ambient temp are these sitting?

Hello Forum users. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on my first batch of mead making.
I am a beekeeper and a month ago on 12 June I made a large batch of mead using honey I had harvested from my bee hives. I had enough for 3.5 x gallon demijohns.
I mixed the honey with water until I reached the correct starting gravity parameters and added brewers yeast (unfortunately I later found it was over a year past expiry date).
After 36 hours the airlocks were happily bubbling away- some batches faster than others. I left them alone and today, a month later checked the gravity again. Here are my results: #1 1.105-1.024, #2 1.107-1.088, #3 1.114-1.102, #4 1.104-1.094. It looks like only #1 has been behaving as it should and the others are slow. They are all still bubbling, but only slowly. Can you please give me some advice as to what I should do because it took a lot of time and effort to harvest the honey and make the mead and I would hate to have to throw it away. Thank you.
A month is not long enough for mead. Rack into new sanitized c9ntainers at about 1-1.5 months or when the glunk in the bottom is ovver 1/2-1 inches. Wait another month.
Repeat until no more bubbles at all . Measure gravity. And allow to age about 4 or mucus re
Maybe nays, tasting each month
Mead takes a long time. Be patient

Back