Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any cheaper alternatives to brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
britishbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any cheaper alternatives to brewing?

Bought a kit from my local Wine and Hop shop.

The kit is a Dunkleweiss beer and had alot of malt and some dry malt extract along with some grain to steep in cold water. The instructions never mentioned when to add the dry malt so I hope adding it in with the regular malt was a good idea, anyways..

Im wondering why it costs so much for the kit: 40 dollars for everything, plus energy making it, etc.

Looking at the ingredients it should only cost about 15 bucks to get. Anyone else buy these kits? Or is it just a gimmick for them to make a quick buck?

Anquiring minds would like to know.

-Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbloke
Bought a kit from my local Wine and Hop shop.

The kit is a Dunkleweiss beer and had alot of malt and some dry malt extract along with some grain to steep in cold water. The instructions never mentioned when to add the dry malt so I hope adding it in with the regular malt was a good idea, anyways..

Im wondering why it costs so much for the kit: 40 dollars for everything, plus energy making it, etc.

Looking at the ingredients it should only cost about 15 bucks to get. Anyone else buy these kits? Or is it just a gimmick for them to make a quick buck?

Anquiring minds would like to know.

-Tom
When you acquire the space, experience, and willingness to put in the time, go all-grain. You'll save a lot of money, apparently. Malt extracts can be pricey, but buying the grain in large enough quantities is very cost-effective.

Also, the energy required to make it is (to me) one of the parts that makes the hobby so satisfying.

Consider what you'd spend on two cases of good beer. If it's more than $40, then you're saving money anyway.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
britishbloke
Recipes 

Yeah it seems that the malt is the pricey part.

Hmmmmm I am looking into and trying to understand the whole mash tun deal.
Thats what makes the barley into malt from what I understand.

Im making a cheap version of Cider which only costed around 30 bucks.

Im in college so its a little harder for me to be able to spend money on buying kits.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Some ways to reduce costs:

Use dry yeast and/or harvest and reuse yeast. (Dry yeast is cheap, so not much sense in bothering to harvest and save it).

Buy malt extract in bulk from a high-volume dealer like Northern Brewer, Morebeer.com, or Austin Homebrew Supply, instead of kits or LME in a can. DME has several advantages, but costs a bit more. Fresh LME can make very good beer though--the freshness makes a big difference.

Don't buy kits: you'll save a few bucks just by putting the ingredients together yourself.

If you have some freezer space, you can buy hops in larger quantities and save quite a bit of the prices HBSs charge.

And finally, the way to save the most on the ingredients for brewing is to go all-grain. BUt this does require an initial investmment in equipment, it means a lot more gear to store, and a brew session will take roughly 3 or 4 times longer than for extract.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbloke
Yeah it seems that the malt is the pricey part.

Hmmmmm I am looking into and trying to understand the whole mash tun deal.
Thats what makes the barley into malt from what I understand.

Im making a cheap version of Cider which only costed around 30 bucks.

Im in college so its a little harder for me to be able to spend money on buying kits.
Plain ol' barley is converted to malted barley by the process of malting, which is done before you even buy the grain. Basically, the grain is germinated to a point and then dried. What you see in the homebrew shop is malted barley.

A mash tun is a vessel used during brewing to "rinse" the sugars out of the malted barley.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

$40 for a kit seems a bit expensive to me. Perhaps you should shop around a bit more.

I'm also a bit confused by the grains to be steeped in cold water?? They specifically told you cold water? It should be more like 150-160F water, correct?

Old 11-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Since malt is the biggest part of the cost, the higher the gravity, the higher the cost. If $40 + some energy gives you 40 pints, that's much better than anything except BMC (or whatever the yellow fizz is called in the UK).

If you're just looking for maximum alcohol for the money, you can add a lot of table sugar to cider (2 kg per 19 liters) and almost double the ABV. Ferment it at the cool end of the temperature range & it won't be too harsh.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 11-06-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Walker, care to start this up again?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

All grain ingredients are cheaper, but you have to be careful calling all grain brewing cheaper altogether. If you find some rock bottom deals on equipment, you can save a ton of money doing AG brews. However, it's gonna take me a year or more before I make up the cost of equipment overhead by brewing AG. That said, I find it much more enjoyable than extract brewing, so it was worth the initial investment.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Don't buy kits: you'll save a few bucks just by putting the ingredients together yourself.
I know this is conventional wisdom, but it seems like I always end up spending 10 dollars more when I make my own recipe rather than using a kit. it's because I hop it up, or make a bigger beer, but the end result is that I spend more.

$40 is pretty high for a kit, though.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,