Airlock Question from a Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleGoddess

Reaction score
I am brewing beer for the first time (woo hoo!) so I am a super newbie. It is a Bruxelles Blonde Ale from a Brooklyn Brewshop kit. I just inserted the 3 piece airlock to a gallon jug (that came with the kit.) My concern is that I jammed it in too far... I inserted the "tube" part of the airlock all the way in so that the "container" part of the airlock with the sanitizer is touching the top of the glass jug. Am I being a neurotic newbie or is this going to be a problem? :confused:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

TripleGoddess said:
I just inserted the 3 piece airlock to a gallon jug (that came with the kit.) My concern is that I jammed it in too far... I inserted the "tube" part of the airlock all the way in so that the "container" part of the airlock with the sanitizer is touching the top of the glass jug. Am I being a neurotic newbie or is this going to be a problem?
Neurotic newbie - you should be fine : ) good luck on your first batch!

RDWHA....SBB. Your airlock and beer will be fine. Put it in a cool dark place for the next 2-3 weeks and forget about it. Just make sure the airlock it full to the fill line.

To head a potential future post off at the pass. No it's not infected and an airlock is a pressure release valve NOT a fermentation indicator. Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Back