is a 12quart pot sufficient for a 1/2 5gal boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrigon

Reaction score
Hello all-

I am just getting ready to do my first batch. I have all I need except a descent pot. I found a 12quart used stainless pot on Kijiji and was hoping it would be sufficient for half-boils of 5gal batches.

12 Quart is just a little over 3 gals, and I presume a half boil is 2.5gals. If I keep a close eye on the pot to prevent over-boils, would it do?

What are your thoughts?

I'm not the most experienced brewer, but I don't think the pot is large enough for that amount of water. I recently boiled 4 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle and had the wort boil over. Even before that happened, the water was boiling very close to the top of the kettle. I won't say it's impossible, but it seems very risky.

1/2 gallon is not much space, that will be very close to the top. I wouldn't try it unless I had no other alternative.

I find that you generally want the kettle to be at least 50% larger than the starting volume of liquid you actually want to put it it.

A 1/2 gallon head space will disappear quickly at the onset of a good hot break. I use the same 5 gallon (20 qt) SS kettle I started with & The hefe boil I did some 12 days ago was 3.5 gallons. It boiled over no matter how fast I stirred it with my paddle! Had to clean the stove, needless to say. But most often as not, when I use mash & sparge wort to 3-3.5 gallons for hop additions, the hot break isn't that bad. That Bavarian wheat DME is some violent stuff. So the moral here is,don't do 2.5-3.5 gallon boils in a small kettle or thou wilt face SWMBO's wrath! Looking back, I like the fact that I got 4 nested, polished SS stock pots with lids & strainer baskets for some $28. but a 6-8 gallon SS kettle would've been a bit better head space-wise.

Back