New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap III: Bearcat Brewmeister's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Scotch Ale

Aroma I noticed just a hint of hops when I first popped the cap. This faded and I was left with a malty, nutty, and slightly spicy aroma. As I worked my way through the beer, the malty aroma stayed around and I couldn't detect any hops by the end.

Appearance There was a pretty small, tan head that faded within about a minute. The body was a dark copper with just a little bit of amber coming through. I'd say it was clear, but it was kind of hard to tell with the darkness of the beer. Tilting the glass a bit, I could see that the body was, in fact, very clear. I didn't see any haze.

Flavor This beer is dominated by a malty, nutty base. I tasted the hops a bit through the malt and I would have guessed at maybe some Nugget, but it turned out to be Pacific Gem. I think the high AA hops give the beer an interesting twist on what I think of as Scottish Ale. I like it, but it isn't quite in line with the guidelines (my interpretation of them, at least).

Mouthfeel There was a slight pop when opening the cap. This bottle may have been a little undercarbonated, but I enjoyed it at the level it was. I think this style is supposed have a small CO2 volume, so there you go. The mouthfeel was fairly full with a nice round finish. There was a bit of alcoholic taste/warmth as the beer warmed up a bit. The warmth is good with this beer and I probably should have been serving it warmer than I did.

Adherence to Style I'd say this followed the style pretty well. I'd prefer a different hop schedule. Maybe use more and use a traditionally low AA English hop or noble hop instead of the Pacific Gems. The high AA hops kind of gave the beer an "American" feel for me if that makes any sense.

Overall Impression Very enjoyable. I really liked this beer and I'm sorry I only got the one. I could easily see going through a bunch of these in a night. As with the Robust Porter, well done.

Cheers,

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 AM   #12
uwjester

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

American Pale Ale

Aroma Sweet hoppy goodness. I can smell the american citrusy hops right away. The aroma of this beer is screaming APA.

Apperance Like the other reviewers, I was a little disappointed that there was no head. Even after a somewhat aggressive pour there was only about a quarter inch of slightly off-white head. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the alpha acids from the dry-hopping were affecting the head retention. But then again, I don't really know. The body was exceptionally clear, especially considering the 3oz of dry hopping. There was some slight lacing on the glass.

Flavor Incredible hop flavor. There is a slight hint of malt underneath that only serves to highlight the hops even more. Well done. I tried to place the hops and I couldn't really put my finger on it. Definitely an American variety, but I couldn't say which. Then I looked at the recipe. This beer has an incredible hop schedule including 6 additions over 3 weeks and 5 different varieties. About 7oz. of hops all said. The blend is very nearly perfect for the style.

Mouthfeel Nice hiss when I popped the cap. The beer seems to be carbed pretty well, despite the lack of any real head. The overall mouthfeel was bubbly which set the palate up pretty well for the hops. The hop flavor lasts through the dry, otherwise clean finish.

Adherence to Style I think you hit this one right on the head. Appearance, flavor, and aroma all make me think of the pacific northwest micros that seem to showcase this style, although I enjoyed this bottle more than I have any of the micros. The big ding for this beer would be the head, and quite honestly, it didn't bother me. More focus for the hops.

Overall Impression Fantastic. I really enjoyed the smooth, dry finish and did I mention hops? I always seemed ready for another mouthful as I set the glass down to take notes. All of the work with the hop schedule really pays off. I also like the crystal and aromatic malt that you used. I can't imagine what compelled you to use the Belgian Aromatic Malt, but it was brilliant.

Cheers,

Hops

This space intentionally left blank.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default robust porter

appearance:very dark blackish red. 1/4"reddish head on pour nice lacing

aroma:roasted chocolate malts dominate, no to very little hops present

flavor:roasted chocolate upfront slightly sweet some hop bitterness. slightly astringent bite may come from patent malt

mouthfeel:good carbonation,slight y creamy in mouth nice and full body

overal: not bad for style well balanced, need to ose the astringincy maybe

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-14-2007, 03:42 AM   #14
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

I really appreciate the comments guys.

Seems like the most consistent comment was low carbonation. I think I have figured out how to get a better carbonation using the beer gun. I serve my beers on tap at 42F so I have less CO2 in solution because of the higher temp. On top of that the transfer loses a bit more. I think next time I use it, I will drop the temperature to 33F and boost the pressure about 1 or 2 psi to compensate for the losses.

I usually only post recipes if I get outside confirmation that they are worthy, such as placing in a contest. I'd stack HBTer opinions with contest judges any day, so I will put up the Porter and APA recipes. Thanks again guys.

Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Quick Reply