AHS Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this kit? I had a hard time deciding between the AHS winter warmer this clone of theirs. Samuel Smiths won out after I tried a bottle...damn good beer.

a bird in the hand....:D

I made the AHS winter warmer but I have yet to tap the keg so I can't really comment on how it tastes.

Has anyone tried this kit? I had a hard time deciding between the AHS winter warmer this clone of theirs. Samuel Smiths won out after I tried a bottle...damn good beer.

a bird in the hand....:D

I went through the same dilemma. Ordered Winter Warmer last week... should be at house today.

Is it just me or do they always seam a step behind with the seasonal kits. For example you guys are just ordering these holiday type beers. By the time you brew, ferment, bottle, age, etc... It will be nearly spring. Especially for a higher strength beer that you'd probably be best aging for a few months to let the alcohol mellow out.

The worst example is when they start pushing the Oktoberfest kits in October. Those beers are typically brewed in March and let sit until October.

They should be pushing the winter seasonal ales in the August.

Sorry for the rant.

Is it just me or do they always seam a step behind with the seasonal kits. For example you guys are just ordering these holiday type beers. By the time you brew, ferment, bottle, age, etc... It will be nearly spring. Especially for a higher strength beer that you'd probably be best aging for a few months to let the alcohol mellow out.

The worst example is when they start pushing the Oktoberfest kits in October. Those beers are typically brewed in March and let sit until October.

Sorry for the rant.

::hands you a box of Dove and a step ladder::

I agree with you... I do wonder what their logic is? I typically don't age my beer. I am still young enough where I don't appreciate "nice" beer I think. So once it is drinkable, I drink it. Really trying to change my mentality though.

::hands you a box of Dove and a step ladder::

I agree with you... I do wonder what their logic is? I typically don't age my beer. I am still young enough where I don't appreciate "nice" beer I think. So once it is drinkable, I drink it. Really trying to change my mentality though.

you just need to brew more and more and more until you have beer coming out your ears and you can't drink it all so quick. :D

Sorry for the rant.

I'm going to brew my kit Friday or Sat, I'm looking to keg it the 23. I did three octoberfest each hit their FG in under 3 weeks, drank 2 after they where kegged only a week or two. I do still have one octoberfest in the primary, along with a LHBS christmas ale which has hit the FG already in under two weeks. Although I agree the beer does taste much better after being in the keg at least 3-4 weeks I normally drink it as it ages. I have been brewing cider a year this past October and beer a year this coming feb. I plan on brewing an Octoberfest this april/may and getting a fridge to lager it over the summer. So as a noob this is more learning as I go. Currently I'm drinking a pumpkin ale that I made on Halloween. I know your now wondering how they got carbonated so fast. They where forced carbed in a 24 hour period.

you just need to brew more and more and more until you have beer coming out your ears and you can't drink it all so quick. :D

Working on that right now :mug:

Bottled: case Nut Brown, SH2B, St.Paul Porter,Multigrain Red, German Alt.
Primary: Double Batch Bavarian Hefeweizen
Secondary: Double batch Spiced Winter Ale
Next week: Double batch Single Hop Best Bitter (SH2B)

Is it just me or do they always seam a step behind with the seasonal kits.

Sorry for the rant.

Yeah they are great kits, but often they are advertised too late for me to brew them. They are ready quick but I have three taps and my beer takes a while to move so I need to brew my spring beers in the next month or so they are ready to go for spring.

I'm enjoying a AHS Winter Warmer right now. Probably the best beer I've made so far. Surprisingly smooth. It tastes great! Next time I may add a holiday-ish spice kit to it.

Newbie question, where do you get AHS clone kits? I love Sam Smiths Winter Welcome and would love to give one of these a try.

Thanks

You could try midwest brewing supplies. I can get you the recipe if you'd like, you can just buy the ingredients and go from there.

Ellis Tx- Thanks for the reply, after checking it out a little further I saw that it was Austin Homebrew Supply-DUH, I should have looked more into before I posted that dumb question.

Ellis Tx- Thanks for the reply, after checking it out a little further I saw that it was Austin Homebrew Supply-DUH, I should have looked more into before I posted that dumb question.

LOL I assumed you had probably figured it out. You just layed yourself out there and I couldn't resist. Pick one of the kits out and get to brewing. My first couple brews were extracts from them and they turned out great.

Back