How do I fix an all grain screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
I made a copy of the Allagash Curieux clone on this forum a while back and used all extract. I loved it. I decided to make it again but this time I did an all grain. I was still a beginner and I didn't sparge it and basically just put the grains in and was left with 2 gallons of water after it. I just added water to make it 5, did the boil and threw it in the fermenter.

As expected, the beer is very mild and bland (actually the bourbon takes most of the flavor). How can I fix this? I was thinking of unbottling the beer, putting it in a pot with some more water and some extract/hops. I have about a case and a half of the beer left. Any suggestions what I should add or how I can attempt to fix this?

The recipe I used was as follows:
Allagash Curieux Clone

Bring water to 149 degrees for the mash
Add the 0.5lbs of Carapils
Seep for 45-60 minutes at 149f
Remove the mash and bring the mixture to a boil
At first boil, add 9.3lbs malt extract
Bring to a rolling boil
At first boil, add 0.5oz tettnang and 1oz of hersbrucker
After 30 minutes, add 0.25oz of tettnang and 0.5oz of hersbrucker
After 45 minutes, add the 1lbs of corn sugar
After 50 minutes, add 0.25oz of tettnang and 0.5oz of hersbrucker
After 60 minutes, remove and cool

70 f for fermentation week 1
78 f for fermentation week 2
70 f for fermentation weeks 3,4

Put in the primary fermenter
Soak the cubes in Jim Beam for 1 month.
After 30 days, dump the JB from the container and put fresh Jim Beam in.
After 60 days, put the wort in the secondary
After 90 days, add 2.5oz oak cubes (discard the JB first) to secondary. Also, put new JB in
with the last 0.5oz chips.
After 111 days, add the last 0.5oz of cubes AND the JB it’s soaking in into the secondary.
After 120 days, bottle the beer

INGREDIENTS:
--------------
13 lbs pilsner malt [13lbs x 3315x]
1 lbs Carapils [1lbs x 3009B]
--------------
OR
--------------
9.3lbs Pilsner Malt Extract [9.3lbs x M3007]
0.5lbs Carapils [0.5lbs x 3009B]
--------------

1lbs corn sugar [1lbs 7553]
1oz tettnang [1 x 1556]
2oz hersbrucker [2 x 1523]
Yeast: 1 smackpack of Belgian Ardennes, and one of WLP550 [1 x ACT3522, 1 x WL550]
3oz of Hungarian medium toast oak cubes in Jim Beam [1 x 8244x]
5oz priming sugar [1 x 7540]

Do you have a preboil volume and gravity? I'm a little confused as to what your process was...

Did you just take the first runnings and then top off with water?

Do you have an OG?

Sorry, I should have gone into more detail. When I made this I was still a beginner and had never done an all grain. Rather than read how to do it, I just jumped in. I seeped the grains in 6.5 and after I pulled them out, I had about 2 gallons left. I just filled it up with water up to 5.5 gallons and then started the boil. At the time I didn't understand why I would need to take the gravity of the beer so no, I don't have a preboil or an OG.

Sorry, I should have gone into more detail. When I made this I was still a beginner and had never done an all grain. Rather than read how to do it, I just jumped in. I seeped the grains in 6.5 and after I pulled them out, I had about 2 gallons left. I just filled it up with water up to 5.5 gallons and then started the boil. At the time I didn't understand why I would need to take the gravity of the beer so no, I don't have a preboil or an OG.

You need to cry foul and just drink it as it is. Make a new batch and follow the directions this time. Its only 5 gallons. We all screw up somthing while brewing (at least once) and learn from that. And you cant reboil after you have fermented anyway. Good luck and definetly start reading up, Ive been doing it for a while and I think I read beer books, Mags, online etc... Daily.

Ahh, I see... I would call the batch a lost cause in that case... Especially with the bourbon and oak overpowering everything.

You could blend it to try to save it... But I think the only thing you'd accomplish is ruining 2 beers (I haven't tasted it do idk, it might taste better than I'm thinking do it's really up to you).

It might make a good bbq marinate... Oak and bourbon and meat. Yum.

Yeah I figured that was the case. What if I got some more hops/extract/yeast and did a 2 gallon boil and added it into it? Or is it really just not worth the time/money and I should just remake it? I've learned a lot since I did this as I've done another 11 beers since... It's just been sitting in my basement and no one wants to drink it :)

Basically you made an extract beer without any extract. When steeping you are not getting much in the way of fermentables out of the grain. I go with giving it away and trying again.

No offense intended but this batch is FUBAR. Anything you add will be throwing good into bad which will just give you more bad.

Start over and follow instructions. Get a good copy of Charles Papazian's instructions for a single infusion mash and follow it like it's gospel. After you internal the process you can then vary it on the fly.

Latest posts

Back