Floaties in primary - common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-oh

Reaction score
So I just transferred my first AG batch to the secondary yesterday (Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale) and noticed chunks of stuff suspended in the upper 4 inches of the brew.

It looked like something from a severe chest cold.

I transferred anyway, trying to avoid sucking up any of the aforementioned.

Being this was my first AG, and I've never encountered that with any extract batches, is this a common occurrence with AG?

What was the gravity when you transferred? Are you sure it was done? could have just been some krausen or trub in suspension. how did it smell/taste? if there was no 'off' odor/flavor it's probably nothing.

What was the gravity when you transferred? Are you sure it was done? could have just been some krausen or trub in suspension. how did it smell/taste? if there was no 'off' odor/flavor it's probably nothing.

FG 1.010, measured for 3 consecutive days with no change. Smelled fine, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd agree that if there aren't any 'off' odors present that it's nothing to be concerned about. I have an amber that's been sitting in primary for going on 2 weeks now and there's still some goodies floating around in it.

Based on your FG, I'd say(as TL mentioned) you have some yeast yearning to be free. Don't worry about it. Relax, don't worry, etc.

Sounds totally normal, and is the reason why my beers almost always get some kind of secondary, even if its 5 days and crash cooled. Its just so difficult to rack from primary and not get a little trub/yeast cake sucked up since the primary usually has floaties in it.

Back