Lots of Dextrose Left Over After Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RackEmUp

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm making 5 gal of Bluberry Country wine using the following recipe:

8.8 lbs of Blueberry compote (100% Blueberry)
8.75 lbs Dextrose
7.5 tsp Acid Blend
2.5 tsp Pectic
2.5 tsp Energizer
5 Campden Tabs
1 Montrechet Yeast

Started the brew on June 10th in a bucket and transferred it to a carboy once all bubbling had stopped.
I just now went to rerack into another carboy and noticed that there is a significant amount of Dextrose at the bottom of the current carboy. I've never encountered this issue before so I'm not really sure how to proceed.
I have Fermaid O and am considering throwing in the appropriate amount to try restarting fermentation to finish off the rest of the dextrose but wanted to see if there is a better way to go about this.
I also have another 6 gal batch that I just started yesterday using the same ratios. Is there a way to avoid running into this same issue early on?
Pictures are of the 5 gal batch that I was going to rerack but held off on doing so as of now.

blueberry1.jpg
blueberry.jpg

When I added the dextrose to the compote and water mixture the water was already boiling hot which would have dissolved most of it, no?
Bearing that in mind, should I try to restart fermentation? If so, how do I go about that?

Why do you think it's Dextrose? It looks like yeast to me. The wine above looks to be clearing and the yeast has settled out. Did you measure the OG? Was it as expected? After 6 weeks in the fermenter, this is exactly what I would expect to see.
It's a very thick deposit, but you should expect that if you're using compote.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back