Regulator/Gauge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
So I'm building a 4-keg keezer, and I want independently regulated kegs, so I know I'll need a 4-way 'secondary' regulator. (I know this might be overkill, but I figure the flexibility couldn't hurt.) I also know I'll need a C02 tank pressure gauge, but those always seem to have single regulators attached to them. So it seems that the single regulator would be redundant to the 4 that will be 'downstream'. Am I thinking about this wrong?

Also, what's the best on line source(s) for faucets and regulators? TIA.

---VikeMan

If you have a single primary reg, you can run it to a distributor, and then to secondary regs. So primary runs at your highest pressure, it goes to a manifold that will send gas to your highest pressure keg and also your secondary regulators. All your secondaries can drive one keg, or a manifold and several kegs, as long as they are at the same or lower pressures than the primary.

I got my tank and regs from beveragefactory.com, seemed to have good prices and good selection.

Thanks STM. I can see how that would work. But then a distributor is about 40 bucks, which also happens to be about the difference between a 3-way and a 4-way secondary, so I guess I'll have to decide what would be most flexible.

Thanks STM. I can see how that would work. But then a distributor is about 40 bucks, which also happens to be about the difference between a 3-way and a 4-way secondary, so I guess I'll have to decide what would be most flexible.

Just "T" off of your primary regulator. One hose goes to your "first" keg - The other to a 3-way secondary regulator bank.

The only limitation is that the keg with the highest pressure must always be on the primary regulator.
Also, the rest of your kegs (The ones on the secondary regs) will have to be several PSI below the pressure on your primary.

Secondary regulators are not designed to drop from 35 PSI to 33 PSI. More like 35 PSI to 12 PSI. There has to be a differential of more than a few PSI for them to work. (Though I have no idea what that differential must be)

Thanks SS. Not sure I've seen a 'T' anywhere. What does it look like (well, besides a 'T'. Duh.)? TIA!

---VikeMan

Also, you don't need a high pressure CO2 tank gauge. They are useless! (see SweetSound's sig, lol).

+1
All high pressure regulators should have a plug installed where the high pressure gauge lives. Or have the high pressure gauge covered! : :mug:

Norgren.jpg

Or, alternatively, one could just ignore the HP gauge ;)

Latest posts

Back