Dual pressure guage for a single keg or a single pressure gauge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewhal

Reaction score
I'm planning ahead for the future and figured at some point I will be serving 2 kegs out a single CO2 tank. That being said, I haven't purchased a CO2 regulator yet and am wondering if it's better to purchase a pressure regulator with a single gauge like this one
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/mk4-dual-gauge-multi-gas-reg.html
or if I should purchase a pressure regulator with 2 gauges like this one
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/mk4-dual-product-gas-regulator.html
If I leave the CO2 on and one regulator in the dual regulator do not have a connection, will CO2 leak? or do I need to connect it to a disconnect to prevent leaking?

If you plan on pouring both kegs at the same pressure, one gauge works fine. I did this for years. I've recently added duotight regulators downstream for the ability to pour at different pressures.

If I leave the CO2 on and one regulator in the dual regulator do not have a connection, will CO2 leak? or do I need to connect it to a disconnect to prevent leaking?
These regulators don't appear to have integrated shut-off valves on the low pressure outlets, so you need to add something to cut off CO2 flow somewhere downstream.

If you have more than one keg, you will find the dual version to be more flexible and have increased utility.

Brew on :mug:

My personal issue with the MK4 regulators is the lack of an on/off valve... I love that they have an MFL output as that makes it simple to attach duotight parts, but yes; the unused one will blow gas out the moment you open the cylinder valve. You can get the single output one and use one of these to split the output;
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/duotight-8mm-tee.htmlBUT: That will limit you to keeping both kegs at the same pressure. This isn't a problem for a lot of folk including myself, but I am intending for my own system to add secondary regulators at some point. As it is, I have a Kegland Series-X 4-corny kegerator and I'm currently using the stock MK4 single regulator that came with it, but only because owing to my own nerve and brain-damage, I lack the confidence to swap out the 3/8" barb on my Taprite regulator for an MFL fitting.
If you only have 2 kegs, then using the duotight splitter and the single gauge you linked should serve you OK 'for now'...unless it really is important to have kegs at different pressures. My personal recommendation for a first regulator is 'Buy once, cry once' and buy the best you can, which in my opinion are the Taprites and Micromatics (there are a handfull of other high-end ones, but in Canada, availability of them and thier parts is a little more limited). With some effort and research in the threads here, you'll find a number of users have swaged EVAbarrier over barbs... it's a worthwile option to consider, but as it's for gas and involves stretching over a barb, choosing a wider diameter line makes it a lot easier such as the 5mm or 1/4" ID.

Get the single regulator and add a manifold downstream. That way, when you decide to expand to more kegs, you can add one, or more, secondary regulators to unused ports on the manifold. Those additional ports are plugged with a pipe plug when not in use. That’s about the most inexpensive way to provide for multiple regulators in the future.

My personal issue with the MK4 regulators is the lack of an on/off valve... I love that they have an MFL output as that makes it simple to attach duotight parts, but yes; the unused one will blow gas out the moment you open the cylinder valve. You can get the single output one and use one of these to split the output;
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/duotight-8mm-tee.htmlBUT: That will limit you to keeping both kegs at the same pressure. This isn't a problem for a lot of folk including myself, but I am intending for my own system to add secondary regulators at some point. As it is, I have a Kegland Series-X 4-corny kegerator and I'm currently using the stock MK4 single regulator that came with it, but only because owing to my own nerve and brain-damage, I lack the confidence to swap out the 3/8" barb on my Taprite regulator for an MFL fitting.
If you only have 2 kegs, then using the duotight splitter and the single gauge you linked should serve you OK 'for now'...unless it really is important to have kegs at different pressures. My personal recommendation for a first regulator is 'Buy once, cry once' and buy the best you can, which in my opinion are the Taprites and Micromatics (there are a handfull of other high-end ones, but in Canada, availability of them and thier parts is a little more limited). With some effort and research in the threads here, you'll find a number of users have swaged EVAbarrier over barbs... it's a worthwile option to consider, but as it's for gas and involves stretching over a barb, choosing a wider diameter line makes it a lot easier such as the 5mm or 1/4" ID.
When you say swaged EVAbarrier over bars, do you mean they choose EVAbarrier over barbs or the other way around?

If you take EVAbarrier and heat it, like in hot water on a stovetop or with a heatgun, you can force it on to an oversized hose-barb. Makes for a nice seal, just a PITA to do.

Given the Canada aspect, plus my respect for Taprite regulators, I suggest buying one of these
Taprite Primary CO2 Dual Regulator
then pick a manifold from this page
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/search.asp?keyword=manifoldand you'll be set for like 85% of beer styles that all like to be carbonated to roughly 2.5 volumes of CO2.

If you stick around long enough to decide you want to brew a differently carbonated style like an effervescent wheat or saison on the high carb side - or a cask style beer on the seriously low side - you can add a second primary to the first...

Cheers!

I love my dual regulator as I do overnight forced carbs at around 45 psi for a new keg. I have one outlet with a splitter going to 2 kegs and one going to a single keg that is getting carbed. Dual is just more flexible.

Latest posts

Back