Sour and gross :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newise

Reaction score
I just tasted my first batch of cider, and I was disappointed to discover it tastes sour and weird and generally not good.

For the back story: I started with 5 gallons of store-bought preservative-free apple juice, added 2 cups brown sugar and a bit of yeast nutrient (I wanted to make SURE my yeast thrived because I'm a nervous first-timer), then 2 packets of whatever generic beer yeast that came with my "homebrew starter kit" (didn't want to go buy any special new yeast since this is my first try and basically just a learning experience)

I kept it in primary fermenter bucket for almost two weeks until bubbles stopped. Then, I racked it into a plastic carboy for secondary fermentation. At that time, it tasted and smelled really alcoholic, but still relatively normal tasting, like a dry English cider, but yeastier, probably due to me accidentally stirring up some dead yeast gunk from the bottom of the bucket. It stayed there at around 60 degrees for about six weeks. I meant to bottle sooner but I've been busy.

So now, I go and taste it and it is sour and not good. It doesn't even taste like it was once apple juice at all. It's almost like a dry white wine taste.

The gravity reading now is almost exactly 1.000. I didn't know enough to measure gravity starting out, but I attempted to recreate it and got around 1.055.

I kind of figured out what to do as I went here and now understand where I made mistakes, so if it can't be saved it's not a total loss, but is there anyway I can make this drinkable?

Many of my ciders are like that before backsweetening. When they're 1.000 dry and relatively young, they're sour and not all that tasty.

Try stabilizing it and backsweetening up to about 1.012 or so. As noted above, frozen concentrate apple juice works really well for that. And give it a little time to age too. Cheers!

Did you use honey at all in the primary? Was wondering if honey would have made a difference or not.

I haven't tried to add apple juice concentrate or anything to it. How do I go about doing that? Don't I need to pasteurize it or something to kill the yeast before I add anything?

I haven't tried to add apple juice concentrate or anything to it. How do I go about doing that? Don't I need to pasteurize it or something to kill the yeast before I add anything?

Wondering this too for my 1st 5 gallon brew. As a rule of thumb how much is acceptable to back sweeten and use to carb when I bottle the stuff? I will pasteurize the bottles once I get the carbonation I like.

I know the amount really varies but just curious mostly for getting in enough to add some bubbly during once its bottled. would 1-12oz can of apple concentrate be enough or is more needed? Not looking for sparkling cider bubbly, just some fizz.

Back