Mead batch wont start HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewReiver

Reaction score
Greetings, this is my first post here, and I am a new brewer. I am having a problem with a mead recipe that I have done successfully twice before.

• I have 21 pounds of honey in a five gallon bucket.
  • Filled water up to the 5 gallon line after mixing in Honey.
  • I am using Wyeast 4184
  • I added nutrient and energizer right after the pitch.

24 hours later, no airlock action at all, and when I look at the must there is very little if any foam on the top. Should I try to add more energizer and/or nutrient? I have one more packet of Wyeast pitch, should I perhaps add that? Last two batches I made were bubbling far before the 24 hour mark.

thanks for any help.

I just added energizer and nutrient, stirred it up good, and then turned on a heater in the room for a bit to raise the temperature. stop me if I'm making it worse!

keep the temp lower, you don't want to create a bunch of fussels. The gravity sounds a bit high at a little over 4lbs per gallon. What is it at/ and what did it start at?

You could have a bad seal on the bucket, so the co2 is escaping through that instead of through the airlock. Checking gravity is a much better indication of fermentation over airlock activity.

gravity was at 1.14. that is around where I have had it in previous batches, but maybe I just got lucky before?

Is there any possibility that any of your ingredients contained sulfites or sorbate? There have been reports in the past with some honey containing sorbates which will inhibit yeast cell budding (i.e. reproducing).

Another possibility is the osmotic cell shock from yeast cells being pitched directly into that high gravity of a wort. Perhaps create a honey/water starter with your other packet of yeast and pitch after it's finished propagating.

Is there any possibility that any of your ingredients contained sulfites or sorbate? There have been reports in the past with some honey containing sorbates which will inhibit yeast cell budding (i.e. reproducing).

Another possibility is the osmotic cell shock from yeast cells being pitched directly into that high gravity of a wort. Perhaps create a honey/water starter with your other packet of yeast and pitch after it's finished propagating.

I have used this same honey several times (Berkley & Jensin) and have had no issue. I am going to give it one more night and if nothing happens I will take your advice and start a yeast culture outside the bucket.

Shake the **** out of it...I didn't see any mention of an oxygenation procedure other than stiring. When using the no heat method this is very important...imo

can I use the must from my current batch for the starter, or do I have to use all new water/honey?

can I use the must from my current batch for the starter, or do I have to use all new water/honey?

As long as you're confident you don't have any sulfites/sorbate in your current batch, then I don't see why not. However, I would dilute the starter gravity down to the 1.030-1.040 range, and I would aim to keep the starter at around 75F.

BTW the mead has taken the Starter and is bubbling away beautifully now. It all smells normal and I am trusting that it will come out to be a decent batch. Thanks so much for helping a noob out of the mess he made for himself! :rockin:

That's all good news!! Congrats on another batch of mead!

Just an update, my current Hydrometer reading is 1.060. My original reading was 1.145 which leaves this at about 11% after just 3 days of ferment. I snuck a taste and it is coming out great.

Back