1/20/10 Meduime Show Still Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
I made my first mead on 1/20/10 using the following recipe:
Medium Show Mead
15.5 Cups Windmill Farms Wildflower
4.5 Gal Spring Water
10 oz. Lalvin D-47 Yeast
2 tsp. Yeast Energizer
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

2/18/10 SG was 1.014

Still in the carboy it look very cloudy with a greyish/golden hue. I have done several other recipes since and they have all cleared beautifully. in a relativly short time. Will this ever begin to clear? Do I need to do anything or add anything to this holdout? I tasted it and it tastes fine for its age.

Wow, 60 viewings and no one has any suggestions on this topic. I guess I'll just hold out and drink in 6 months if it still tastes good (cloudy or not).

Just let it sit. If it isn't clear at 9 months or a year, I'd probably take action, but otherwise I'd just give it time. If you are planning on oaking it, the oak tannins sometimes speed the clearing. Another way to speed things along is put it in a fridge. In the cold, there is less molecular motion and things can aggregate and precipitate out of suspension faster.

I made my first mead on 1/20/10 using the following recipe:
Medium Show Mead
15.5 Cups Windmill Farms Wildflower
4.5 Gal Spring Water
10 oz. Lalvin D-47 Yeast
2 tsp. Yeast Energizer
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

2/18/10 SG was 1.014

Still in the carboy it look very cloudy with a greyish/golden hue. I have done several other recipes since and they have all cleared beautifully. in a relativly short time. Will this ever begin to clear? Do I need to do anything or add anything to this holdout? I tasted it and it tastes fine for its age.

15.5 cups of honey? That seems low for a 5 gallon batch -maybe you mean lbs? You could add some Sparkolloid powder if you wanted, or just wait. 3.5 months isn't that long - I'm not sure what size batches you're used to, but I find that 1 gallon batches generally clear much faster than 5.

Back