Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be due to the bell peppers , but could you put up a pic with a light behind the fermenter so i could see if the light penatrates it?
Might settle after bottling.

Well, I'm not sure what's causing the cloudiness, but I'll give it a stab!

My first thought is that it could be a pectin haze. If you didn't use any pectic enzyme, that would be my first approach.

The next thing I'd do is chill it. Putting it somewhere cold will often cause the suspended particules to fall out.

If you're already used pectic enzyme, and the wine has been finished for at least 3 months, I'd probably go with sparkelloid. That should clear it up pretty well.

I've had really good luck with sparkelloid in my light colored wines.

5 months into plum and it is finally started clearing. I added more PE last month and that seems to have got the clearing to start. If you bottle it you will have settling at bottom of bottles. Some people dont mind that but I don't like dust in my wine.

I had a batch of mead that was finished fermenting and tasted great but refused to clear, and I really needed it for Christmas gifts. My LHBS recommended Super-Kleer, which is a two-part kieselsol and chitosan product. Within 20 minutes of adding it I could see floc forming and within 24 hours it was clear. I usually prefer to let mine clear naturally but this worked great in a pinch. I also am planning to try sparkelloid on a batch in the future, mainly because I could buy a whole bottle of sparkelloid powder for the price of one dose of Super-Kleer :)

Latest posts

Back