Elderberry wine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Markovics

Reaction score
So I just bottled a gallon of elderberry wine that I started on 7/15/23. About how long should I leave it be until it's ready to drink. Picture of the bottled wine

Attachments

• elderberrywinebottled71523.jpg
    elderberrywinebottled71523.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 0
Elderberry is much better after 18 to 24 months of aging. I suggest that you age it until next summer, then open a bottle every 3-4 months so that you can taste the way that the flavor develops. Age at least one bottle for 2 years or more so that you can taste that. If you like it, you can plan on making a larger batch next summer.

Elderberry is much better after 18 to 24 months of aging. I suggest that you age it until next summer, then open a bottle every 3-4 months so that you can taste the way that the flavor develops. Age at least one bottle for 2 years or more so that you can taste that. If you like it, you can plan on making a larger batch next summer.
18-24 months is what I'd read once, I wasn't sure it that was right. Thank you for confirming that.

18-24 months is what I'd read once, I wasn't sure it that was right. Thank you for confirming that.
I agree--don't even bother opening a single bottle until it's been aging at least a year. Fortunately elderberries are so abundant, you can make big enough batches that opening a bottle every 3 or 4 months will leave you lots when you finally reach a point where you're really liking it.

Back