Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > I may be moving to Chicago! but I need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
uncleben113
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo
Honestly anything near the redline would be great for you. Don't do Uptown as others have stated. That place is sketchy. I live in east Lakeview and it's an easy commute downtown. Tons of buses take you straight down Michigan Ave and the redline is 3 blocks away. If you have some time to kill today my brew club here in Chicago is having a shoot out style brew competition. It's in West Town by the Twisted Spoke. PM me if you're interested. It's a quick bus ride west on Grand Ave. it's at our community brew house!
That sounds great but I won't get in town until later tonight. I'll definitely be looking for a homebrew club and stuff like that once I move so maybe when I move in August we can work something out.

Thanks for the invite

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
mojo_wire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't bother with anything South of the Loop. The newly gentrified South Loop area is pretty expensive and there isn't all that much to do on the evenings or weekends. Further south, everything close to the Red Line is sketchy, except for a few insulated pockets of "nice" neighborhoods, but those places (like Bridgewater) are often really unfriendly to outsiders.

Just about anything close to the Red Line or Blue Line on the North Side will be nice (with a few exceptions, of course). There is a tunnel connecting the Red and Blue line trains at Jackson, which is only a couple of blocks from Roosevelt, so places like Bucktown/Wicker Park are just as convenient to the school. Lincoln Square is another nice area that is relatively inexpensive, at Lincoln Avenue (which runs NW-SE), Western, and Lawrence. There is a Brown Line stop there, which also goes downtown a couple blocks from Roosevelt.

I lived in Wicker Park, Lakeview, close to Lincoln Square and Rogers Park. Assuming you are a typical post-college single guy in your 20's, I'd advise any of them except RP, it's just not that close to most things you would want to do and is a long train ride to downtown. If you are looking suburban, though, Evanston is awesome. Just north of Rogers Park, still serviced by the train.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben113 View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I'll try to stay away from uptown but avondale does sound nice. Anything with a homebrew shop is a big plus.

I'll have to look into the public transportation up there as I am clueless about it right now but anything close to a line that would take me close to Roosevelt would be great.

I found a few nice apartments in east Lakeview yesterday. I think I'm getting a tour of one on Monday.

How are the areas south of Chicago? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews
The Hegwisch area (just south of the city), as well as NW Indiana are very close to the South Shore train, which will get you downtown, and very affordable. (This is coming from someone who lived on the north side, in many of the neighborhoods that you're looking at, for 35 years.)

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
uncleben113
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung

The Hegwisch area (just south of the city), as well as NW Indiana are very close to the South Shore train, which will get you downtown, and very affordable. (This is coming from someone who lived on the north side, in many of the neighborhoods that you're looking at, for 35 years.)
So are you saying you'd rather live south rather than north?

After visiting several neighborhoods, here are my findings:
-the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area is bad ass! I want to move there bad
-not impressed with uptown. I heard some girl scream "I'll bust any bitches head that come out yo apartment". This was after I decided I wasn't crazy about the area though so that definitely didn't help.
-Andersonville is pretty sweet too. Looks like a nice neighborhood and cool place to live.
-as for Avondale, I wasn't really impressed. Maybe I didn't dive through it long enough or in the right parts but from what I saw, it was mostly pretty run down except for one cool little area.
-Overall, Chicago seems great. I think the Lakeview area takes the cake though.

One thing I didn't realize is how expensive it is just to park your car. All of the apartments I looked range from 100-150 a month just to park it! I'm not going to drive much at all, probably mostly to concerts outside of the city so I'm thinking I'll just sell my car. I hate to do it but that's another big bill that I don't need. And I'm getting a cta pass through school so I think my transportation is going to be free.

Well if anybody knows of a place in Lakeview for rent that isn't crazy expensive, let me know

Thanks for all of your help and let me know if any of this seems misinformed.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've lived in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Logan Square, North Center, and now Wrigleyville (actually Southport - a great street between Belmont and Irving). I work in North Center/Ravenswood area. I've lived on the North side 25+ years. So much for qualifications. On to your question.

Yes it is expensive to park in Lakeview unless your apartment comes with parking, and not many of them do. And finding a place with decent street parking is kind of a trade-off. Do you want to be in the thick of a great area, with restaurants, bars, shopping, grocery, etc? It will be more expensive and harder to get parking. If you are willing to live on the edges of those places, where it's more residential, parking will be easier. But pretty much any place in Lakeview you will be fighting for street parking. Wrigleyville is kind of the same.

Cars, parking, insurance, even gas...all expensive in Chicago.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was going to add that if you want street parking you could look at the North Center. More residential, not far from the Brown line, but still with a nice little happening area along Lincoln between Montrose and Lawrence. When I say "street parking" I mean "you can't always find parking but drive around a while and you will eventually".

Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
uncleben113
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

So it's looking like I should just sell my car. I'd like to be close to the restaurant's and all but I just can't pay for parking and I don't want to just rely on street parking. I think if I sell my car, I can just rent a car when I need to drive to shows outside of town or whatever I want to do. With the money I'd save by not havinga car, I should have more than enough to spend on rentals as I would need them, which will be maybe every few months

Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben113
So it's looking like I should just sell my car. I'd like to be close to the restaurant's and all but I just can't pay for parking and I don't want to just rely on street parking. I think if I sell my car, I can just rent a car when I need to drive to shows outside of town or whatever I want to do. With the money I'd save by not havinga car, I should have more than enough to spend on rentals as I would need them, which will be maybe every few months
Or you can use car services like zipcar.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
So are you saying you'd rather live south rather than north?
Oh, HELL no!!! I just mentioned living south because it is a LOT cheaper.

Quote:
After visiting several neighborhoods, here are my findings:
-the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area is bad ass! I want to move there bad
-not impressed with uptown. I heard some girl scream "I'll bust any bitches head that come out yo apartment". This was after I decided I wasn't crazy about the area though so that definitely didn't help.
-Andersonville is pretty sweet too. Looks like a nice neighborhood and cool place to live.
-as for Avondale, I wasn't really impressed. Maybe I didn't dive through it long enough or in the right parts but from what I saw, it was mostly pretty run down except for one cool little area.
-Overall, Chicago seems great. I think the Lakeview area takes the cake though.
Wrigleyville/Lakeview is a great area, (especially for bar-hopping) but expensive (especially for bar-hopping) and virtually impossible to find parking.

Quote:
One thing I didn't realize is how expensive it is just to park your car. All of the apartments I looked range from 100-150 a month just to park it! I'm not going to drive much at all, probably mostly to concerts outside of the city so I'm thinking I'll just sell my car. I hate to do it but that's another big bill that I don't need. And I'm getting a cta pass through school so I think my transportation is going to be free.
The CTA is the way to go. I didn't own a car until I got married in my mid-20's, relying on either the Big Green (CTA) or my bicycle to get everywhere that I couldn't walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
I was going to add that if you want street parking you could look at the North Center. More residential, not far from the Brown line, but still with a nice little happening area along Lincoln between Montrose and Lawrence. When I say "street parking" I mean "you can't always find parking but drive around a while and you will eventually".
Northcenter is a great neighborhood, but also on the expensive side. Great bar scenes, though! There's also a new-ish HBS store in the area.

Where in NorthCenter did you live and work? I grew up around Irving, Lincoln & Damen.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
Northcenter is a great neighborhood, but also on the expensive side. Great bar scenes, though! There's also a new-ish HBS store in the area.

Where in NorthCenter did you live and work? I grew up around Irving, Lincoln & Damen.
I lived basically at Damen and Cullom, block south of Montrose. Right in that same area.

As far as HBS, I go the the Brew and Grow on Kedzie just north of Addison, that place is most excellent and they will work with you to get stuff they don't have in the store. Where is the store you mention?

Quick Reply