Lynyrd Skynyrd and ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaohpierre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here I am jamming out to free bird while brewing beer. I heated up my mash water to 180 and started pouring into my Rubbermaid cooler. Of course, I'm zoned out to this music because the guitar solo started kicking in and I didn't even check to see if the ball valve was closed on the mash tun, plus I'm barefoot in my kitchen. All of a sudden super hot water comes pouring out of the spigot and burns the hell out of my foot. I then freak out and try to put down the water kettle so I can close the ball valve. My kitchen is flooding and of course my cat wants to see what all the commotion is about, so I have to throw him out the way and close the ball valve. I finally do and then have to re-heat some more water to make up for the other water I lost.:smack:

All in the all, it's just another fun event that happens while brewing. Any of you guys got some funny stories during brewing.

Don't forget to empty the water out of your immersion wort chiller. Especially if you don't hook up the hoses until flame out.

I did that too but it was just about 140 F water from the tap that I was using to preheat and it was a gallon. I caught it before it was everywhere but still lost a half gallon. It is one of the few ways the floor gets mopped so much. :)

This is the very reason I never brew in anything other than waterproof leather work boots. Mine happen to be steel toe as well so if I ever drop a kettle on my toes I am safe. I left a mashtun ball valve open and scalded my sandal clad foot.

At some point you just get used to checking the valve EVERY time you add water. A couple of accidents like that and you develop a habit real quick!

This is me. I spilled some hot wort on myself going into the BK and now check ball valves at least once before liquid goes it.

No he won't … because Lord knows, he can't change.

Haha NIIIIICE :D

No he won't … because Lord knows, he can't change.

This may be true, but even a Simple Man could do it.

The worst part isn't the pain, though. The worst part is that when it's all over and all the wounds have healed, your memory will find a way to remind you. You'll be just starting to pour the water and you'll be like, "Ooo, that smell, can't you smell that smell?" because the smell of burned foot surrounds you.

(I think we're reaching the bottom of the barrel now...)

I was thinkin' more like ain't foolin' around 'cus I done had my fun. Ain't gonna see no more damage done...Gimme back my bullets! :mug:

This wouldnt have happened on a Tuesday by any chance? Oh well its long gone!

Big Jim has been drinking whiskey, and playing poker on a losing night.
He should have been drinking beer...

I have forgotten to close the valve on my fermentation and bottling buckets several times . What a sticky mess on the kitchen floor . also forgot to empty out that chiller and dropped it in the boil to sanitize . Pumped out some water into my wort . did not harm anything .

Back