Heady topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
Going to be traveling to Vermont from buffalo ny next week via a stop to pick the wife up in Albany.
Was wondering where the best place to stop and pick up some heady topper. Heard many things about the unicorn of beers but have never seen or tried one if anyone knows where I can pick some up it will be very appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Getting HT isn't easy. As stated above, basically need to get to the store when it arrives or soon after. I went to a store once next day. Assumed they didn't have any and asked if they did they said they sold out within a few hours. HT is high demand without enough supply yet.

Man, I was pretty lucky to get a can of Heady here in CA thanks to a friend who acquired a quantity in a trade. I have to say that I am a skeptical anti-hipster who rolls his eyes at Pliny, and I really wanted to be disappointed by Heady Topper just because of its "whale" status among beer geeks. It would have really satisfied me to say that Heady Topper is overrated.

But no such luck. It is really damned delicious and there's no way around it. Do whatever you must to get your hands on some.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>$42 / four pack. WARM on the shelf. CJ's Kegs Cases &amp; more in Potsdam, NY. Shameful. <a href="http://t.co/SRMwp8gM71">pic.twitter.com/SRMwp8gM71</a></p>&mdash; John Kimmich (@alchemistbeer) <a href="https://twitter.com/alchemistbeer/status/524942713482121216">October 22, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Check HeadySpotter.com and if you are not going to be there day of delivery, don't get your hopes up too high. If possible, hit up the Burlington(Bev warehouse of Winooski-check their FB page) area on Tue/Thu. Also if you are in Burlington area, try to pickup Fiddlehead Mastermind in cans - it's awesome too and they are canning this week.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>$42 / four pack. WARM on the shelf. CJ's Kegs Cases &amp; more in Potsdam, NY. Shameful. <a href="http://t.co/SRMwp8gM71">pic.twitter.com/SRMwp8gM71</a></p>&mdash; John Kimmich (@alchemistbeer) <a href="https://twitter.com/alchemistbeer/status/524942713482121216">October 22, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, $42 for four of them? That is a little nuts. I take back "do whatever you must to get your hands on some" as I certainly wouldn't pay that much for any IPA.

Wow, $42 for four of them? That is a little nuts. I take back "do whatever you must to get your hands on some" as I certainly wouldn't pay that much for any IPA.

There's a reason it's posted on HT's twitter, someone was doing something wrong, and probably illegal.

It really isn't that hard to get Heady. It is really hard to get a case of Heady. The only thing that makes it hard is if you are just in the area for a day, and that day doesn't correspond to the area you are in.

HeadySpotter is another good resource, but the Alchemist website has all the info you need.

Don't sleep on the other breweries we have here in Vermont. (Hill Farmstead, Lawson's Finest, Lost Nation, Fiddlehead, just to name a few)

There's a reason it's posted on HT's twitter, someone was doing something wrong, and probably illegal.

John actually clarified his tweet....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>P.s. Everyone. It's not the price so much, it's the warm factor. At the very least, handle it properly. Thanks to those that do.</p>&mdash; John Kimmich (@alchemistbeer) <a href="https://twitter.com/alchemistbeer/status/524975980767903745">October 22, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It really isn't that hard to get Heady. It is really hard to get a case of Heady. The only thing that makes it hard is if you are just in the area for a day, and that day doesn't correspond to the area you are in.

HeadySpotter is another good resource, but the Alchemist website has all the info you need.

Don't sleep on the other breweries we have here in Vermont. (Hill Farmstead, Lawson's Finest, Lost Nation, Fiddlehead, just to name a few)

I think the OP was actually only going to be in NY state, and was wondering if it could be found there. Last time I was in VT, Hill Farmstead had just gotten out of control popular, it was just the dude working that day. Parking space was non-existent, and the line to make purchases was far too long out into the parking lot. I was disappointed that I had driven all the way out there.

I then enquired with the family we stayed with about Lawson's Finest, and their response was "you think Heady Topper is hard to get......." Has this been your experience as well? I really didn't try after hearing that.

I did find HT relatively easy to find in VT. I could have been lucky though.

His "clarification" was garbage... how anyone can be ok with this ridiculous pricing is beyond me.

His "clarification" was garbage... how anyone can be ok with this ridiculous pricing is beyond me.

I don't think he was ok with it, hence "at the very least, handle it properly". As a brew master, his main concern is the taste of his product.

They can charge whatever they want. Don't people buy beer that's $10 or more for a 22? This isn't all that much more per can. I know a bar that sells early Firestone Anniversary for $500.

I would look for Crusher also, It blows Heady away. I thought Heady was the best IPA ever until I had Crusher, made by The Alchemist as well

Got plans to go to healthy living in south Burlington for the mon drop off does anyone have any tips for me

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414446659.314550.jpglook what I got today

Last time I was in VT, Hill Farmstead had just gotten out of control popular, it was just the dude working that day. Parking space was non-existent, and the line to make purchases was far too long out into the parking lot. I was disappointed that I had driven all the way out there.

Sadly this has been the norm for a few yrs. It is getting better, especially with having no true 'release day' on his bottled beers. He is expanding so fast, but you still need to plan on waiting in a (usually fast moving) line; it is worth it tho.

I then enquired with the family we stayed with about Lawson's Finest, and their response was "you think Heady Topper is hard to get......." Has this been your experience as well? I really didn't try after hearing that.

If you are in Burlington/Winooski(on Friday), Montpelier (on Friday) or Warren(on Thursday) it isn't that hard, harder than Heady tho. Lawson's is about to shut down his brewery for a few months, but is contract brewing out of CT (See his blog for more details). He has been contract brewing Sip of Sunshine, which is pretty easy to get, but not nearly as good as Double Sunshine (imho).

All this said, HF, Lawson's and Alchemist are pretty easy to come by on draft. Any of the top beer bars will have it; just to name a few Three Penny (Montpelier), Prohibition Pig (Waterbury), Blackback (Waterbury), Farmhouse (Burlington), Mule Bar (Winooski) and many others.

FYI Alchemist Crusher, Focal Banger, etc (IE not Heady) are only sold at pop-up truck sales, so you won't find them at any stores.

Stopped at fiddleheads brewery and got a 12 pack of there dipa also

Back