Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #671
Neopol
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Neopol's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)
Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
When you get your 3711 use some that TF&S rye on this.
That sound delicious, sounds like you have you brewed this. Bookmarked..thanks I'm gonna transcribe that recipe in the morning.

Edit* had to get to page 13 to answer my own question.
__________________

BREWMUTT

Don't you know there aint no devil...thats just god when hes drunk!

Neopol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #672
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpacemanSpiff's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopol

Sounds great, how did the sample taste? Is it throwing the crazy phenolics? How did your fermentation temp schedule go?

No experience with this 3711 strain but very eager to run a peppercorn/orange farmhouse, the other belgians I've used take me to 6 to 8 weeks for 9-12%abv. Slow little monks, but damn tastey.

If you're not confident in your washing procedure, I'd be happy to take a trub/yeast mix with a little beer cover, I'll clean it and reculture it up.

Take your time, let the beer tell you when she's ready.
The sample tasted great. I usually don't enjoy uncarbed samples all that much but this one was really tasty. Nothing too crazy, but definitely a spicy, peppery flavor. The recipe calls for sage, parsley, rosemary, and lemon thyme at flameout, but I think the taste is definitely more character from the yeast than it is from the herbs.

I didn't do anything special for fermentation mostly because I don't have a controllable chamber anyway. Just the usual spot in the basement. It's probably been in the 66-68 range at least for the room temp. From what I've read that's on the low end for 3711, but it's apparently one of the few Saison yeasts that doesn't mind being on the cool side. Fermentation kicked off within 12 hours or so, but never got that violent. Just a pretty steady chug.

It's my first time using this strain also and I initially thought about just doing a small batch. Based on the sample I'm very glad I did a full 5 gallons so I can reserve some for myself.

The trub/yeast mix sounds like a plan. Hopefully I can get some guidance from an expert and we both can get a good culture for future batches.
__________________
SpacemanSpiff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #673
Kieran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopol View Post
That sound delicious, sounds like you have you brewed this. Bookmarked..thanks I'm gonna transcribe that recipe in the morning.

Edit* had to get to page 13 to answer my own question.
I brewed that exact recipe last March. Mashed at 149 and the 3711 brought it from 1.060 to 1.001. It had a real nice level of ester and spice, better than other yeasts I've used. If I brewed it again I would probably up the rye a bit, and not sub in American pils for continental.
__________________
Kieran is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #674
Neopol
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Neopol's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)
Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post

I brewed that exact recipe last March. Mashed at 149 and the 3711 brought it from 1.060 to 1.001. It had a real nice level of ester and spice, better than other yeasts I've used. If I brewed it again I would probably up the rye a bit, and not sub in American pils for continental.
Wow.. really.. that's already a 25% rye grain charge, how high would you take it? Just curious why? Did the other spices and esters bury the rye and push it out of balance? Or just personal taste? I have a ryePa right now that the rye still shines at 12% of grain bill. I'm an endless recipe tweaker is the main reason I ask.
__________________

BREWMUTT

Don't you know there aint no devil...thats just god when hes drunk!

Neopol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #675
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago Burbs, il
Posts: 460
iTrader: (0)
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

I could see going more rye but my ripa is 40% not counting crystal rye.

My favorite base malt with that brew was dingemans pale malt. Bill, we need to get Cargill on board the CHB vendor list

__________________
starman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #676
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)
Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

I also have some 3711 just in case, but not quite super local. 2nd gen, kept in a sterile envrionment. I should slant some for safe keeping.

__________________
PseudoChef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #677
FermentedTed
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FermentedTed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Villa Park, IL
Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopol View Post
Sounds great, how did the sample taste? Is it throwing the crazy phenolics? How did your fermentation temp schedule go?

No experience with this 3711 strain but very eager to run a peppercorn/orange farmhouse, the other belgians I've used take me to 6 to 8 weeks for 9-12%abv. Slow little monks, but damn tastey.

If you're not confident in your washing procedure, I'd be happy to take a trub/yeast mix with a little beer cover, I'll clean it and reculture it up.

Take your time, let the beer tell you when she's ready.
I love that 3711... used it in azscoob's Cottage House Saison. So nice not having to get temps up to 90 degrees like with 3724. Stayed pretty true to his recipe, just upped the black pepper a bit and added some orange zest. It's been a hit with everyone.
__________________

absentem laedit cum ebrio qui litigat

FermentedTed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #678
dbals
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I've done two more saisons since handing out the 3711 at the group buy. one got to 1.002 and the other finished at 0.998 both were the same recipe I posted here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bucket-7-a-304121/ just subbed out Falconers Flight blend hops instead. Both where very tasty and a big hit with the BMC crowd and now both are gone I really do like the unique mouthfeel of 3711 and not having to babysit it.
If you guys have yeast to share remember the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VoSkE6MQ#gid=0

I'll be adding more yeasts to the list for sharing after Christmas.
Dan

__________________
dbals is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #679
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
bmason1623's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,805
iTrader: (2)
Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbals View Post
I've done two more saisons since handing out the 3711 at the group buy. one got to 1.002 and the other finished at 0.998 both were the same recipe I posted here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bucket-7-a-304121/ just subbed out Falconers Flight blend hops instead. Both where very tasty and a big hit with the BMC crowd and now both are gone I really do like the unique mouthfeel of 3711 and not having to babysit it.
If you guys have yeast to share remember the https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VoSkE6MQ#gid=0

I'll be adding more yeasts to the list for sharing after Christmas.
Dan
You know, now that dbals mentioned it, I have 2 of his vials of 3711 that he left with me. Had completely forgotten about it. Neopol, if you feel like driving up here to get them you are welcome to one or both.
__________________
YeastBank

Chicago Homebrewer's Yeast Bank Project

Chicago Home Brewers Group

Chicago Home Brewers Group Forum

Chicago Home Brewers Group Facebook Page
bmason1623 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #680
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)
Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

When are you leaving today, Bill? Boss isn't here, so I'm semi-flexible.

__________________
PseudoChef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Buy in Chicago #6 bmason1623 Group Buys 1380 03-16-2014 12:44 AM
Group Buy in Chicago #5 bmason1623 Group Buys 1068 03-16-2014 12:44 AM
Group Buy in Chicago #3 bmason1623 Group Buys 338 03-16-2014 12:42 AM
Group buy in Chicago #2? bmason1623 Group Buys 268 03-16-2014 12:42 AM
Group buy in Chicago? bmason1623 Group Buys 421 03-16-2014 12:41 AM