Panty Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure! And knee-hi's for small amounts of hops. They make nice grainbags too.

Just don't use the "colored" ones that are dyed. Unless you like white or blue wort. :drunk:

I use them with pellet hops. I get the queen size knee highs from walmart for $.33/pair. I usually make 2 or 3 bags from each sock. I use them in the boil kettle and to dry hop in the keg. Once I filled one up with blueberries to make blueberry wine.

I use them with pellet hops. I get the queen size knee highs from walmart for $.33/pair. I usually make 2 or 3 bags from each sock. I use them in the boil kettle and to dry hop in the keg. Once I filled one up with blueberries to make blueberry wine.

Oh, the QUEEN size knee highs?!? That was YOU in Wal-Mart?

All I saw was a slightly overweight guy buying them up. And he was kinda cute in a big beer drinker kind of way. I don't judge, as they'd have probably fit him.

But now I realize they must have been for BREWING! I get it now!!!!!!

Does that really work? I'm always clogging my kettle valve filter when I use pellet hops.

oh, the queen size knee highs?!? That was you in wal-mart?

All i saw was a slightly overweight guy buying them up. And he was kinda cute in a big beer drinker kind of way. I don't judge, as they'd have probably fit him.

But now i realize they must have been for brewing! I get it now!!!!!!

lolol

Oh, the QUEEN size knee highs?!? That was YOU in Wal-Mart?

All I saw was a slightly overweight guy buying them up. And he was kinda cute in a big beer drinker kind of way. I don't judge, as they'd have probably fit him.

But now I realize they must have been for BREWING! I get it now!!!!!!

Yeah, that sound's like me, only you left out old and bald!

Does that really work? I'm always clogging my kettle valve filter when I use pellet hops.

Works like a charm. Most of vegetal matter remains in the bag and I get a little bit of hop 'silt' in the bottom of the kettle. I don't use a filter.

Sure! And knee-hi's for small amounts of hops. They make nice grainbags too.

Just don't use the "colored" ones that are dyed. Unless you like white or blue wort. :drunk:

Bringing this old post back to life with a simple question. Which ones arent the "colored" kind? The brown ones? Sorry I have no knowledge of Pantyhose lol.

i use black ones and never had a problem. i don't boil them though, as some do. just throw them in starsan.

I don't starsan.. wouldn't know why.. They are going in the boil. I use the complete waist high ph's.. whatever doesn't have a run in it. I get hop bag out of the bottoms of them.. say from the ankle to the toe. Tie a knot at the bottom of the ankle cut and make another cut at the top of the leg and use that for a grain bag.. or cut somewhere about mid thigh so you can tie a knot at the bottom of the 'body' part and you have a big grain bag.. that would work well for a BIAB for small volumes of grain.. really o work well, IMO and it's really kinda great recycling some of my wife's ph's for beer.. It makes her feel 'part of the process' :D

i didnt mean using it in the boil, i meant boiling to sanitize to be used in a secondary for dry hops or whatever. i do not do this, i use starsan. i heard of people boiling them and some of the color comes oit in the boil water.

TomRep said:
i didnt mean using it in the boil, i meant boiling to sanitize to be used in a secondary for dry hops or whatever. i do not do this, i use starsan. i heard of people boiling them and some of the color comes oit in the boil water.

Hearing that makes me want to get a muslin bag. I'm assuming you'd have noticed off flavors from using the PH by now though.

Great suggestion...

Question, can you still wear them after? I can imagine they would attract a beer loving sort of person!

a buddy that got me into brewing we used his girlfriends pantyhose on our second batch but mostly because we were young and pervs.

Back