Squeezing a Dry Hop Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you accessing the hop bag? Sounds like a good way to oxygenate finished beer.

I rack my beer to the keg and leave the trub and hop matter behind, it's not worth trying to get every last drop of beer.

How are you accessing the hop bag? Sounds like a good way to oxygenate finished beer.

I used a sous vide magnet to attach the bag to the fermenting pail lid, and when it was time to dry hop I just removed the outside magnet and dropped it into the wort.

When I rack my beer to the bottling bucket, should I just remove the bag, or squeeze it out is my quesiton...

You. Can find sources on here for what the dry hop beer absorption rate is, but I think remember it's around 3-4oz beer per oz of hops. My point is you would not gain that much by squeezing the hop bags, you would also need to open the fermenter to get to them.

you would also need to open the fermenter to get to them.
I think its worth already part of the process, Dave is racking to a bottling bucket.

I don’t and probably wouldn’t squeeze. 1. I don’t think it’s necessary
2. I don’t want my hands wet and messy
3. I then don’t want that tricking into the beer.

If you do squeeze, I don’t think there’s a ton of additional harm present.

I think its worth already part of the process, Dave is racking to a bottling bucket.
I was not thinking about his processes.

When I brew a hoppy beer I do a closed transfer to a keg, if I am bottling I remove the air lock to equalize pressure and bottle directly from the fermenter. Whatever you do during this stage you need to minimize exposure to oxygen.

I squeeze. A sanitized hand and a gentle squeeze close to the surface of the beer so the liquid runs down my pinky knuckle back into the beer. My goal is to squeeze gentle enough to not make splashing or bubbles. No idea if it helps or hurts anything or not. This is just what I've always done.

I squeeze. A sanitized hand and a gentle squeeze close to the surface of the beer so the liquid runs down my pinky knuckle back into the beer. My goal is to squeeze gentle enough to not make splashing or bubbles. No idea if it helps or hurts anything or not. This is just what I've always done.
That's pretty much what I did, and then asked the question here afterwards thinking, "Maybe I shouldn't have done that", LOL. The beer is bottle conditioning right now, and I look forward to sampling it next week. Thanks everyone for your input!

I don't squeeze it. I go from my fermenting bucket into my keg by attaching a line from the spigot on the bucket to the liquid line of the keg. I run some Starsan thru all the parts and leave the keg pressurized. I then open the PRV on the keg, open the spigot and let gravity do it's work. I tried to pressurise the bucket, but found that gravity does just as well. LOL. My next batch I might ferment in a keg, dry hop in another and then move it to my serving keg by pressure so that I limit the oxygen exposure. We will see. Either way, I am reading that it is more a preference than a requirement. Have fun and Rock On!!!!!!

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I did, and then asked the question here afterwards thinking, "Maybe I shouldn't have done that", LOL. The beer is bottle conditioning right now, and I look forward to sampling it next week. Thanks everyone for your input!
Here is what I learned. If it tastes good, then you did it right. Whatever you did, it was right. LOL. Now, sit down, enjoy a beer of choice and ROCK ON!!!!! LOL

Back