Nikobrew.com.....Awesome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
So I just have to give my props to nikobrew! I ordered 1lb of EKG, with shipping, for $23. I usually pay $4.45/oz at my LHBS! Shortly after I ordered, Niko emailed me saying that I got the last pound in the sale and he would get it out ASAP. I explained that I was brewing this weekend and hoping he could get it to me by then. He made sure it was in the mail the next day. Fantastic customer service and great prices! :rockin:

Hops are getting cheaper in price. We won't see it at the LHBS level for awhile because they're still trying to gain some profits. Hopsdirect.com is much cheaper by the way. I can get a lb. of US Goldings (pretty much the same as EKG) for -$10+shipping.

Yeah, but that depends on shipping price. I think Hops Direct charged me $11 for shipping on 3# that I just had delivered. That's kind of steep.

Yeah, but that depends on shipping price. I think Hops Direct charged me $11 for shipping on 3# that I just had delivered. That's kind of steep.

UPS Ground for 3lbs half way across the country (66208 KS, to 98275 WA) is $11.95...Priority mail flat rate would be like $10...

Hopsdirect just charged me < $13 to Atlanta (from WA)

Nothing is free. HD shipping is what it is... remember it is about $11 to ship a pound, about $12 for 2 pounds....etc. I got 50 pounds shipped for like $48. Shipped price is what matters, I agree... but even at $1 per pound to ship from HD our cost was under $1 per ounce shipped. It is aggregate.

HD charges ACTUAL shipping, nothing more, nothing less. If it costs $11 to ship #3 of hops that cost you $12/pound... well that is $47 for three pounds of hops shipped. Who has that pricing?

Companies that do a lot of shipping usually get some sort of discount from whatever carrier they primarily ship with. It varies on volume, so some companies can charge less for shiping than others. I checked on ups.com for shipping rates before I ordered from Hops Direct, for me it was $11, but the actual price they charged me for shipping was $9, so they are passing a long at least a portion of thier discounted shipping rate. Most companies will take thier discounted rate and add a certain percentage to it (such as handling costs) when they quote people shipping prices.

One thing they could do though, if they wanted to appeal to homebrewers more is sell in amounts of 3/4 lb or 1-3/4lb. That would save more on shipping because if you order 1lb of hops, the packaging will put the total weight to be 1.1 or 1.2lb and carriers will automatically charge you 2lb shipping costs, they like to round up. I had order 2lb of hops, but was billed for 3lb shipping by UPS. If I remember correctly, the actual weight was around 2.4 lb. Of course, thier packaging methods might not allow them to deviate much on product quantities.

Depending on box weight and how much extra hops are put into each package, those who order around 5lb are getting more for thier shipping buck.

HD charges ACTUAL shipping, nothing more, nothing less. If it costs $11 to ship #3 of hops that cost you $12/pound... well that is $47 for three pounds of hops shipped. Who has that pricing?

No one's saying it isn't totally worth it to buy from them Pol. I love having hops that cost me essentially $1 per oz. I just didn't realize that it was so expensive to ship relatively light items I guess. I buy things online all the time that ship for much cheaper. Either way, I'm still happy to take the massive discount for buying in bulk.

Latest posts

Back