Good beer in Amarillo and Dallas/Ft Worth area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the4gottenman

Reaction score
I'm going to a wedding this weekend in the DFW area and we're also stopping in Amarillo for a night. Anyone have any suggestions for some good brewery's or brew pubs?

Not much in Amarillo. But for Dallas check out Peticolas, Deep Ellum, Community, and/or Lakewood for breweries. For good craft beer bars check out Meddlesome Moth, Common Table, Craft & Growler, and Gingerman.

Rahr's brewing and Martinhouse are in the FW area and both have a Saturday "come check us out" thing going on. Martinhouse had a KILLER IPA to finish off with. Bring your own shade and a folding camp chair is you want to sit. There are a lot of people in the outside area.

Even worse. I'm pretty sure Lubbock is in a dry county.

Lubbock is NOT a dry county anymore. However there isn't much there for good beer wise since it is a college town, although I graduated and moved away I still go back a few times a year.

That being said in Lubbock Triple J Chophouse is Lubbock's only brew pub and its got some pretty decent beers plus the food is pretty good. If you go to crickets off Main Street right across the street from Texas Tech's Campus (GUNS UP!) its a decent beer bar but last time I was there I didn't find much local or Texas. I haven't lived there since I graduated but as far as I remember those are your best bets for beer bars/restaurants. Although the fox and hound on 82nd street had a pretty good tap selection. I do know that there is a new brewery in Wolfforth (15 min SW) called Wicked Beaver but I don't think its open to the public so your best bet is to find there beer in a bar.

In DFW its a little tougher, DFW IS HUGE. I live on the SW side of Fort Worth and it takes over an hour to get to downtown Dallas. However as for a list of good breweries here's my picks: Martin House (Ft Worth), Peticolas (Dallas), Deep Ellum (Dallas), Armadillo Aleworks (Denton), Rabbit Hole (Justin), Lakewood (Dallas), Revolver (Granbury), Four Corners (Dallas), Firewheel (Rockwall), and Rahr (Ft Worth, and his family owns Rahr Malting company).

If you are staying in Fort Worth I recommend Wired Willy's its a hole in the wall tap house but he's got a pretty good selection and at least half of his taps are local/Texas beers (no food but there is a taco truck out back).

Where are you staying for the wedding? It might help to guide you better to some of the recommended places. BTW most breweries are only open to the public on Thursdays and Saturday's for tours, no tasting rooms in north Texas that I know of since the laws just changed to allow them to have tasting rooms.

Where are you staying for the wedding? It might help to guide you better to some of the recommended places. BTW most breweries are only open to the public on Thursdays and Saturday's for tours, no tasting rooms in north Texas that I know of since the laws just changed to allow them to have tasting rooms.

We are staying in Dallas and our family is in Mesquite. We ate at the Triple J Chophouse and the food and beer were really good. :mug:

I haven't extensively sampled the local brews but here are a couple I was impressed with. I've had a few from Martin House and it seems you really can't go wrong with them. I especially enjoyed The Imperial Texan which is an imperial red ale. The only one I had from Community Brewing was Mosaic IPA. I had one of those from a mixed sixes and it left me thinking I should have gotten a whole sizer of it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back