Feelin ripped off by Founders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the first time I heard someone in New England talking about "packies," I also thought they were making a slur against Pakistanis.

I do like the Michigan term "party store." Hadn't heard that one before, but makes perfect sense!

Yeah, the first time I heard someone in New England talking about "packies," I also thought they were making a slur against Pakistanis.

I do like the Michigan term "party store." Hadn't heard that one before, but makes perfect sense!

Yeah. Most of them actually say party store on the sign

That's awesome, around here its all liquor stores. And I like that. Bottle shop, and package store, etc are hard to get into, but I could get down with party stores. (they sell coke and cheap whores too right?)

Lol well Im originally from Tx and I was kinda suprised by the name too. I kept askin wtf is a party store?? Is that even legal??

As others have noticed and pointed out no one flinches at 10 to 25 bucks for a bomber however. Even at 10 bucks for 22 ounces, a four pack selling for 12 bucks is still a good deal by those ideas.

Surly only sells in four pack cans unless its a special release. Four cans range from 9 bucks to 16 bucks for 4 sixteen ounce cans. I would say that the founders price is with in the general price point.

If its a great beer it will sell.

If it's a great beer, it will indeed sell.

And yes, it has a lot to do with consumer perception and the prices for comparable offerings. Founders is great, and if they are priced lower than inferior competition, it actually sends the wrong message about their beer. Not to mention undercompensates them for making better beer.

And bombers... :mad: It's amazing how bombers can get people to pay more, by selling an illusion of high quality, then setting a high price expectation. Trader Joe's sells some pure crap private label stuff in bombers for $4-8. And because it's in a bomber, that looks like a low price compared to what else is in bombers. But NOBODY would pay $2-4 for a 12oz bottle of the stuff.

If it's a great beer, it will indeed sell.

And yes, it has a lot to do with consumer perception and the prices for comparable offerings. Founders is great, and if they are priced lower than inferior competition, it actually sends the wrong message about their beer. Not to mention undercompensates them for making better beer.

And bombers... :mad: It's amazing how bombers can get people to pay more, by selling an illusion of high quality, then setting a high price expectation. Trader Joe's sells some pure crap private label stuff in bombers for $4-8. And because it's in a bomber, that looks like a low price compared to what else is in bombers. But NOBODY would pay $2-4 for a 12oz bottle of the stuff.

There's a lot of cachet and mystique associated with some craft beers. And if that's so, and people are willing to pay $10-plus for a bomber, kudos to the breweries' marketing departments. I will pay that much for something stellar, like a Trappist ale, and have dropped that kind of coin based on the opinion of a trusted beer store employee. But when I walk into a store with a sea of bottles competing for my attention, I will often give the more reasonably-priced beers a try. I like to experiment, but don't want to pay top-dollar unless I know the beer is spectacular.

And for day-to-day beers to keep on hand, I can buy Deschutes for $3 a bomber, or get 12-packs of SN or Big Sky for around $13. Surly runs about $10-11 for a 4-pack of 16oz. That's what keeps my fridge stocked (in addition to home brew).

That's awesome, around here its all liquor stores. And I like that. Bottle shop, and package store, etc are hard to get into, but I could get down with party stores. (they sell coke and cheap whores too right?)

Now for a word from our spokesperson:

gal-screencap-charlie-sheen.jpg

Back