Brewing while "camping"....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
I already have the malt, hops and equipment to brew laid out.

Unfortunatly, I have a camping trip planned.

I figure I could buy 10 gallons of water in plastic bottles which is all I would need for the beer, and I have full hook ups for the clean up/wort cooling water.

And I have a plastic bucket fermenter to use instead of glass...so...

WHY NOT?

Depends on the ferment temperature while you're out there.

Unless you're doing a belgian, I doubt you want the first 2 days of fermentation to be in the high 80s/90s.

Pending where you are of course. :)

I'm not talking about tent camping here... We've been RVing in our second home for over 7 years now...

The house stays the same, the only thing that changes is the lawn.

And the only reason the lawn changes is because we move it.

What's the problem then? You can set the ambient temp at whatever you want and not have to worry about the electricity bill! Tell SWMBO to bring some sweats to sleep in.

Dammit! Now I want to brew while camping! That will TOTALLY piss off the wife! She already thinks I'm obsessed with brewing, and I only brew like once a month, if that. Just spend lots of time reading and talking about it.

Dammit! Now I want to brew while camping! That will TOTALLY piss off the wife! She already thinks I'm obsessed with brewing, and I only brew like once a month, if that. Just spend lots of time reading and talking about it.

and take lots of pictures!

Have a friend that went tent camping, and did a brew at the campgrounds on the last morning he was there. He packed up 2 hours afterwards and headed home, and pitched his yeast the next morning in his brew closet.

The only drawback I could see is that the sloshing as you head back home could cause some of the airlock liquid get pulled into your batch...

Two brew buddies and I have a similar plan for this summer. We all go camping at lake Wynoochee down on the peninsula ever year, and this year we're going to brew over the fire pit using rudimentary equipment and primitive methods as a homage to the things that make camping worthwhile. (Namely beer and calamity)

We're still brainstorming on the finer points of cooling the beer, access to water, appropriate disposal of sanitizer/spent ingredients. You'll have to update the thread with what you've learned!

My bro and I bought a trailer 3 years ago - one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've just been thinking about the best way to brings kegs along, much less brew while camping. Please take pictures!

We're going to be on one of the most beautiful 120 square feet on Planet Earth IMO....

Trailer site 32 in Belfair State Park on Hood Canal, WA.

Not too far down the road from me. If you have any concerns, just leave your fermenter out on the picnic table, I'll make sure your beer is taken care of :D

The only drawback I could see is that the sloshing as you head back home could cause some of the airlock liquid get pulled into your batch...

Nah. Just use a plug instead of an airlock. Burp it once in a while until you get home. Or rig up a tall blow-off tube that can't slosh out.

Hardest thing for me is figuring out how to secure the carboy/bucket for the ride home. Not too big a deal if we leave the dogs at home. If they go with us, then I have to put the beer in the camper.

I *could* do a couple of small fermenters and try different yeast, etc. That would be easier to manage.

I say go for it! No reason not to really. Brewing while camping sounds like fun. And it's definately not as "extreme" as this....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back