Anyone else not like eating while drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipadelphia

Reaction score
When I drink, the only thing I ever want to eat is salty/snack food and just a little bit at that. I don't like eating dinner or some big deal with beer, I just don't like the flavors meshed together. When I drink, I only want to taste the beer and that's it. Plus food just fills my stomach up which prevents more from having more beer usually. Maybe I'm just a lush lol.

I'll eat a meal if I know I'm done drinking, but I rarely ever mix the two.

Is anyone else like this?

Im similar . I dont like to drink beer or wine while eating. Once it is time for dinner i usually set the beer or wine down and drink water with dinner. After dinner i want to pick the beer or wine back up again but usually I am too full for the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't replace meals with alcohol.

It may be worth your while to start educating yourself on beer and food pairing but if you're totally fine with your method of drinking and not eating then maybe you wouldn't want to waste your time.

If I'm out for dinner I'll usually drink water while I eat and drink the wine or beer between courses.

Meh, depends on the beer and the food.

I probably won't want to drink a barleywine or a RIS or IIPA with a meal.

But "lighter" beers to me tend to go well with just about any meal. Pilsner, kolsch, heffe, blonde ale, session beers.

Others (ambers, browns, IPAs, porters, etc) are good too when paired correctly.

My wife's friend's boyfriend's daily routine is this:
He knows exactly how many drinks he has to have to get a good buzz and won't eat dinner until he has his buzz on.
Then he'll eat (usually around 11:00pm) and drink some more.
Then he'll get up in the morning, puke in the shower, then go to work.
Says he's not an alcoholic because he goes to work every day.

I think some foods BEG to be paired with beer...pizza, a hot dog at a stadium, brats while tailgating just to name a few.

He knows exactly how many drinks he has to have to get a good buzz and won't eat dinner until he has his buzz on.
Yeah he's got a problem if he needs to get drunk. Being drunk is typically a happy accident and not a requirement when drinking beer.

As for the thread, I like some beers with food but most of the stuff I drink or make is big, complex and typically bitter so it doesn't really lend it self to meals so much as snacks like cheeses.

It's also important to understand that eating a small meal before or when you start drinking is actually much healthier for your liver as it acts as a buffer in your digestive system which doesn't allow a mass amount of booze to be digested and enter your bloodstream all at once.

I think some foods BEG to be paired with beer...pizza, a hot dog at a stadium, brats while tailgating just to name a few.
You need to have the right beers available though. I've never found a beer at a stadium that would compliment that kind of food.

Pizza always does well with yuengling or marzen type lagers.

Agreed that pairing is the key.

I like me a good citrusy Pale with a turkey sandwich or some homemade just-caught rockfish tacos. I enjoy a hoppy IPA with salty/spicy/sweet things off the grill, like some Middle Eastern style grilled chicken kebabs, ribs, etc. My Bock-style ale goes great with pork chops, pork roast, etc.. I like ambers and browns with anything from chili to halibut fish n' chips. Just the other night I popped my first home-brewed Saison to have with some salmon a fishing buddy sent me from Alaska, that was heavenly.

And I do like a barleywine with some blue-cheese crusted steak and baked potatoes.

bless, it's 3 hours to lunch and now I'm hungry as all hell! :cross:

It's a chicken or the egg thing for me. If I start drinking first, I usually don’t eat as much, but if I’m eating, I love to pair a beer with the food.

And then continue to drink after the food's gone. :drunk:

I have to agree. If I'm drinking some of my beers & watching videos on the 'net, I just like the beers. But at some kind of dinner, I like to experiment with what beers i make that'll go good with the main dish.

I am oposite, I enjoy pairing my food and drink. When done right the two enhance each other.

+1. Nothing better than a dry crisp hoppy pilsner (or a drier IPA) to go along with a spicy meal. I enjoy beer with dinner. Usually have a beer with dinner every night. One (or a few) while cooking dinner and one with dinner. If paired correctly, it can be a palette cleanser.

There is one food/course/whatever I don't like to mix beer with and that's salad. Don't know why, but I have yet to find a salad/beer pairing that I enjoy.

The only thing I can think of that'd go good with a salad might be a hefe. The herbal/floral flavors might fit in well. I used to love a nut brown ale with my wife's pecan pie. The Cooper's English Bitter with BBQ...even as a mop sauce. I think the Morebeer ESB kit beer would go good with any kind of BBQ that had herbs & spices in the rub. Irish Red ale I think is great with ribs.

I don't replace meals with alcohol.

It may be worth your while to start educating yourself on beer and food pairing but if you're totally fine with your method of drinking and not eating then maybe you wouldn't want to waste your time.

If you were implying that I replace meals with alcohol, you totally misunderstood my post.

I'm big on pairing things correctly. I usually like to have my beer after dinner, I eat a lot of very spicy food and tend to drink more beer than I wanted if I have it with dinner. Though I did make a thai chili pale ale that was only around 5% ABV that goes nicely with Hmong dishes.

Back to the pairing. Wish I could find it, but we had a girl scout cookie pairing list. Man that thing was epic.

I do like to pair beers with food from time to time. When I'm going out to get a buzz I usually have something small to eat before hand and drink lots of water. When it comes time to drink I'm hydrated and have something on my stomach to make the alcohol not hit so hard.

Yep - I agree. If we are going out, and the place also has good beer that the wife and I want to drink, I will generally have a beer before ordering. get beer #2 then order. Have it finished before the food is there. Drink water with the meal, then beer #3 for dessert.

But, yeah - I don't like eating food and drinking beer that I want to enjoy.

I like to have beer with dinner, lunch, or breakfast. But I like a paleor IPA, I tend to stay away from porter or a stout untill after I finish eating.

But "lighter" beers to me tend to go well with just about any meal. Pilsner, kolsch, heffe, blonde ale, session beers.

This is how I look at it too. When I get a beer that I want to take notes on I won't usually eat anything with it. Some beers that I've had just don't go well with food or maybe I don't have the right type of food in my house, for example a type of cheese.

If I've already written down what I think about a beer or it is something that I have a lot of then I will eat while I have a beer if I'm hungry. It's nothing for me to pull a pint off of my keggerator while I'm having a pizza. Plus beer usually complements food very well. There's just something about having that perfect meal with a perfect beer. Maybe it's just a pale ale or a grilled panini, but together it's amazing.

If you were implying that I replace meals with alcohol, you totally misunderstood my post.

You certainly did everything possible to make it appear like you prefer to drink instead of eating because eating fills your stomach. As a result, you figured that maybe you were a lush.

That is my summation. /shrug

That's my stance too. I'm not against drinking while eating, but if I'm trying something new or especially complex, I'd rather have it on its own so I can really appreciate it. If I'm drinking a more sessionable beer, having it with a meal is fine.

I've known a couple of guys that were responsible enough to work every day, but make no mistake... They were alcoholics.

You certainly did everything possible to make it appear like you prefer to drink instead of eating because eating fills your stomach. As a result, you figured that maybe you were a lush.

Everything? Everything possible? I also said I eat when I know I'm done drinking. Did you ignore that line? Because that certainly contradicts any argument to state that my OP declares that I replace meals with food.

The lush line was also a joke, hence the lol.

Lighten up. Or keep making up arguments. Whatever.

I like to have something like a pale ale or IPA with dinner and save anything more complex, higher gravity or quality for after to enjoy on its own.

Has my 1st Pliney last night (finally), bottled only 6 days prior! It was great, I definitely didn't sully my pallet with any food while enjoying it.

I didn't get that out of the OP at all. All I read into it was "I don't like to drink and eat at the same time".

but if I'm trying something new

Yeah same here. If I'm trying something for the first time I don't want food taste to interfere with the flavor and alter my impression of it while I'm "reviewing/critiquing" it (in my own head, I'm not one of those insufferable beer nerd types that prattles on about flavor notes to other uninterested patrons at the bar).

Yeah, I didn't take that away from his post at all. If I'm going to be drinking a lot (not even with the intention of getting drunk, but just sessioning, going to a tasting event, etc.) I'd rather have a small meal up front and maybe a snack later. Eating a huge meal then drinking on top of it makes me feel like crap. That was how I took his post.

I'm with the OP in general, but a good IPA or english Barleywine and some good blue cheese together is awesome. Also saisons and like a triple cream cheese or soemthing like that.

Jeeeezuz...they must never get it on if he's too busy getting wasted every night. Feel sorry for her.

I definitely drink 2-4 beers daily (more on weekends typically), but if I get a buzz, it's a happy accident. If I'm sessioning, I like to eat a small to medium sized meal first so the buzz is more of a steady incline rather than an all-at-once deal. And besides, with food in the stomach, it's kind of hard to get too buzzed or drunk. Drinking for long periods is an art.
But what I took away from the OP is that he likes to focus on the beer, all its flavors and nuances. And I agree, usually like to do that also, especially if it's something new or light and delicate like a helles. I typically don't like to drink beer with spicy food because it just doesn't taste good with spicy food. Usually if I know I'm going to make a spicy meal at home, I'll have a beer or two before I eat before my palate is ruined.

I'm with the OP in general, but a good IPA or english Barleywine and some good blue cheese together is awesome. Also saisons and like a triple cream cheese or soemthing like that.

That sounds really good, I'd like to give that a try.

I defiantly can not eat food and drink at the same time. After a meal, I'm all done drinking.
I have GERDS. ( acid reflux ) Maybe that's why?

My friends drinking uncle's wife makes him a huge meal late at night so he'll eat it and pass out. So how he says 'you gotta eat before you go to bed!'

I never used to like beer with food. Even beer and pizza. I grew out of that, and now prefer it.

Though I sometimes fly in the face of suggested pairings. I'm not too much of a foodie to have some white wine with steak or whatever it is I'm not supposed to do

I never used to like beer with food. Even beer and pizza. I grew out of that, and now prefer it.

Though I sometimes fly in the face of suggested pairings. I'm not too much of a foodie to have some white wine with steak or whatever it is I'm not supposed to do

Lol it's red wines with red meats and white wine with light meats and pastas

Back