New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Consecration kit from MoreBeer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #51
jtejedor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I thought so too, especially since in the description it says to store the oak in a cool place. I was excited there for a second but if the oak doesn't have the bugs on it then there is no real reason to get the kit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #52
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolee86 View Post
I may be wrong. But I'm pretty sure the bacteria can survive I'm the oak, as long as you don't heat it up
I agree. People have been using the oak from RR for years with success.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #53
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 2166

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
I agree. People have been using the oak from RR for years with success.
It's a race for the various bugs and fungii to consume the available sugars. I'm guessing that the smackpack from Wyeast has a lot more bugs than an old dried chunk of barrel from RR, so the contribution from that chunk would be minimal at best. That's a guess, but a good one I think.

I think you'd be better served by dropping a bit of Cabernet in there rather than the wood. When I told Vinnie I didn't get the vinous character from the zante currants, he said maybe the character came from the wood of the cab barrels. I think there might be a bit of wine left in there
Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #54
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
I may be wrong. But I'm pretty sure the bacteria can survive I'm the oak, as long as you don't heat it up
Bacteria can, as long as the conditions are right for it. The question is how much of the bacteria and brett from the beer is viable in it. Did the wood get sulfite treatment before being cut up? What conditions was the barrel exposed to after getting drained to getting cut up? It's plausible the oak picked up some less welcomed bacteria and yeast along the way, especially if it was left sitting out somewhere and cut up in less than sanitary conditions. These oak chunks may not have the same degree of care taken with the bags of barrel chips from RR handed out a few years back.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #55
nduetime
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I just added oak and got pretty close with my clone. Roeselare. I'll probably give it another try in the fall (I've got a ton of it that needs drinking... )

What....that's not very long for a sour to develop.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #56
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 2166

Quote:
Originally Posted by nduetime View Post
What....that's not very long for a sour to develop.
I fermented it for about 7 or 8 months, and probably half of that was on the oak and currants that I added. When I typed "just" I meant that instead of using a barrel (or part of one) I "just" added oak chips. BTW, I think it was getting noticeably sour in about 2 months. I put my notes on this beer here somewhere.

I made a second batch that fermented a bit longer.
Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #57
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
It's a race for the various bugs and fungii to consume the available sugars. I'm guessing that the smackpack from Wyeast has a lot more bugs than an old dried chunk of barrel from RR, so the contribution from that chunk would be minimal at best. That's a guess, but a good one I think.

I think you'd be better served by dropping a bit of Cabernet in there rather than the wood. When I told Vinnie I didn't get the vinous character from the zante currants, he said maybe the character came from the wood of the cab barrels. I think there might be a bit of wine left in there
I agree with your statement regarding the wine taste of a barrel. The solera I have living in a cabernet sauvignon barrel tastes very vinous. I expect that to drop off with each subsequent batch I pull/fill. I have compared the same beer fermented in better bottles to the barrel and the barrel has a much rounder taste, which I attribute to not only the wine, but also the O2 transfer which a barrel provides.

As far as the RR chips, I think that people are making starters with the wood to build up the colony and see if it tastes ok before pitching into the beer. Otherwise, a smack pack would definitely take over the batch before the RR bugs had a chance to propagate.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #58
nduetime
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

I fermented it for about 7 or 8 months, and probably half of that was on the oak and currants that I added. When I typed "just" I meant that instead of using a barrel (or part of one) I "just" added oak chips. BTW, I think it was getting noticeably sour in about 2 months. I put my notes on this beer here somewhere.

I made a second batch that fermented a bit longer.
Sorry...I thought that was using the morebeer kit.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #59
leolee86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here is the grain bill...
11 pounds rahr 2 row
8oz acidulated malt
4oz special b
4 oz carafa
Adjuncts..
1lb dark Belgian syrup
1lb corn sugar
Hops...
.5 oz styrian goldings. Bitter hop
1oz sterling flavor
1 oz sterling. Aroma

Whirlfloc..
Mash at 158-159
Og 1.073-77
Est Srm 11.5
Est Ibu 84-88...

Extract build
8lbs ultralight me
.5 dry malt ext
1lb dark candi
1lb corn sugar
Steeping grains
8oz acidulated malt
4oz special b
4oz carafa
Hops
Same as above

Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #60
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Here is the grain bill...
11 pounds rahr 2 row
8oz acidulated malt
4oz special b
4 oz carafa
Adjuncts..
1lb dark Belgian syrup
1lb corn sugar
Hops...
.5 oz styrian goldings. Bitter hop
1oz sterling flavor
1 oz sterling. Aroma

Whirlfloc..
Mash at 158-159
Og 1.073-77
Est Srm 11.5
Est Ibu 84-88...
I think you've got an error there, with the est IBUs. There's no way they could be that high with that small amount of low AA hops. Most sour brews are never over 25ish, but I think the hops in your recipe would be in the teens for IBUs which would be appropriate for this beer. The hop bill looks perfect, but the IBU calculation is wrong.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Quick Reply