Where to get a starter kit in EU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank van Summeren

Reaction score
I live in the EU and I am looking into getting into mead making. However I struggle finding a brewing kit as most of them are from the US and dont do shipping to the Netherlands, Does anyone know a place where I could get myself a Mead brewing kit?

Welcome to HBT!

Mead is not really "brewed" (boiled).
You just mix honey in (chlorine free) water, along with any other fermentable juices, flavorings, etc. you want to include. Then add your yeast and (if needed) some nutrients.

If you're looking for a fermenter, pretty much any vessel of the right size with a fitting lid can work.

You will need a sanitizer, some K-meta, and for equipment, an airlock, hydrometer, and siphon.
Later on, bottles and caps or corks.

I would not use a kit. Kits usually come with mediocre equipment, something you would dump after you got the 'brew bug'.

Some of the equipment to start:
Siphon, few water jugs, a wine or a beer yeast, bakers yeast (as nutrient), any kind of sanitizer you feel most comfortable and depending on how clean your tap water is, an air lock and a bung or a grommet. A hydrometer and measuring glass, you can possibly also use that tube the hydrometer comes in as it, wine thief (optional), Diammonium Phosphate (nutrient, optional), any other kind of yeast nutrient (optional), sulfate and sorbate for stabilization (if your going to either back sweeten or age for a considerable amount of time), a milligram scale (0.1 accuracy).

If your water jug looks something like this, you could drill or some other way make a hole to the lid and add a grommet, or buy a correct size bung. Some people have glued the airlock to it.

Netherlands probably has amazing brew stores. Brouwland is also close, it's good for buying mead and wine making equipment and chemicals, and they probably have low shipping cost to Netherlands.

Last edited:
Back