Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett or something else?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

That looks a bit like pediococous. I say age it for a few months and see what happens. Might end up being mighty tasty!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #12
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

2 weeks with a pellicle like that already? That seems awfully fast, especially for an accidental infection. Was it a repitch?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
snowbeer
Recipes 

But it's in a bucket with lots of O2 available. Nail polish means acetobacter. It has that ropey look from pedio... which is known to "clean up" after a few weeks. I would never dump! Taste it, and then taste it again in two weeks. Also the dupont saison strain which I think it what you are using is known to taste like crap for about 2-3 months and then tastes amazing after it ages.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd be careful with that bucket. Plastic is a lot harder to get completely sanitary after it gets infected. If you're going to try any other purposefully sour/brett beers you may be able to use this, but it's usually a good idea to have any plastic gear that comes in contact w/ bacteria and/or brett set aside just for that use and maintain a seperate "clean" set of plastic for everything else.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't toss it out. If it's not brett, you could add some. My guess would be lacto.

Either way taste it. If it's not too great (tastes sorta-infected) BOTTLE don't keg. If it tastes fine, keg it. If it's completely undrinkable, wait another two weeks, or add brett and wait another four weeks.

Just an extra .02

Marbles baby, marbles.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #16
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

nail polish aka ethyl acetate, does not go away with time, nor will any bugs convert it to anything tasty

it really sucks when that flavor happens, i had a flanders red that was amazing one week and I planned to bottle, but didnt get around to it for ~3wks more (pellicle dropped) and from then on all you could taste or smell was nail polish remover, couldnt even blend it with something else to cover the taste, as ethyl acetate is noticeable on the palate at very very low levels

Quick Reply