Band aid taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
I made a sour blonde the first part of oct. Used a campden tablet at boil and pitched with roselare. On the 31st of oct I pitched half a container of ECY20. It's got a really nasty band aide taste to it. Slightly sour but nasty after thta passes. Is this normal? I have a flanders red going right now and that never tasted like this.

I am quite sure that the campden tablet should have been added to the brew water 24 hours in advance. I is used, I think to "de-clorinate" the water and takes 24 hours for the gasses produced to be fully released.
Did you maybe confuse it for Whirlflock?

Per AJ Delange, one of the top water chemistry experts on the forum, the reaction is essentially instantaneous.

BUT - the procedure used is a little unclear. Did you add the campden tablet to the kettle after it was already wort? If so that may be your problem. You need to get the chlorine/chloramine out of the water *before* any malt touches it, or the chlorophenol reaction may already have occurred.

Check the science forum. I believe there's a sticky on the topic.

I crush it up and add it before the wort stats to boil. I also run my water through a whole house filter. This is the first batch out of the last 40 gallons I've made that has had this strange flavor. Also this beer was brewed as a 10 gallon batch and half was soured. The other half doesn't taste weird. I'm going to guess it's nothing to do with my water

Well if it isn't a chlorine in water issue then this isn't pertinent. But if you are going to use campden tablets, you should add them to the water before you start the process. See this here thread about using the metabisulfites.

You need to get the chlorine/chloramine out of the water *before* any malt touches it, or the chlorophenol reaction may already have occurred.

I also thought that using campden was a water-only treatment that needed to be done pre-mash.

As an aside, I would also say that the taste of a sour at 6-7 weeks isn't generally representative of the finished beer. Some of the bugs in that blend (pedio specifically) are slow movers.

Since I pitched some ecy20 I was going to let this ride out at least a year. Just don't want this nasty taste at 12 months.

Back