Straining/filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
Made a blueberry wheat using 2 1/2 pounds of boiled then muddled blueberries in the secondary. I had a difficult time trying to strain through a funnel/strainer and went with a SS mesh kitchen strainer.......lots of sediment in bottles. Taste great but need a new approach to fruit in the secondary or filtering.

Thoughts?

Bad news is you probably oxidized the beer pretty badly straining it.

Did the fruit not stick on top or sink to the bottom? The one time so far I have used fruit I was just able to rack from underneath it.

Maybe you could fruit like some people dry-hop - put it in a large nylon bag and just pull it outwhen you're done.

I was also going to suggest putting it in a 5 gallon paint strainer as well, but I don't know if that is as fine as you need. I just made a blood orange wheat with the zest and fruit of six oranges in a paint strainer added to the secondary. No sediment in the bottles as far as I can tell (they aren't carbed yet so I haven't poured one out, but the bottling bucket was free of any junk).

Great idea, thanks!! Definitely going with nylon bag or paint strainer next time!

Back