Neighborhood Picnic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
Ok, so the annual neighborhood picnic is coming up in 2 months. I would like to bring a keg of something that most people can drink. Since I'm a porter/stout guy myself, not sure of what to brew. I want something that shows the quality of homebrew but not so strong that all the bug/miller people will gag. But I don't want to make bud/miller...

How do our seasoned homebrewers convert the masses?

Any AG recipe suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!
Greg

Something light, around 9 lbs malt total. Half 2 row and half white wheat. Low hopping with a US hop like Cascade. Mash low around 150deg F. Dry SafAle US yeast (not sure the number, but it is in the red packet). Don't forget the whirlfloc. Most BMC drinkers can't handle a beer that has any opacity whatsoever. Make sure to ferment low and get at least a week of cold conditioning in. That will tone down the beer a bit.

brewmebaby said:
how about a nice belgian tripel?

hehe. Funny you should say that. My SWMBO doesn't like beer, but I made her taste a tripel that I had made because I thought the sweeter taste would win her over. She spit it out in her popcorn bowl.. :drunk:

A moderately hopped APA, a Kolsch, a cream ale, something along those lines would probably work. Lots of people drink beer with their eyes, remember, so rule 1 is to make something light and golden.

I'm with Bird: a light colored, simple APA is a nice summer beer that should go over pretty well.

Of the three, I'd go with an APA myself. Ideally, you'd have two kegs - something light for the hardcore BMC'ers, and something a bit more your style (although not over-aggressive, maybe a nice, malty porter) for people who are a little more adventurous.

I think there are two different possibilities here:
1) As most have suggested brew something light that more people will be willing to try OR
2) Brew your best beer, something that those that are willing to try will really enjoy.

With 1) you will have more people drinking your beer but will be less likely to impress anybody enough to change their drinking style. I think with 2) you may actually get more people to think outside the "box". If these are friends and neighbors many will try your brew at a picnic where they might not have otherwise. If you have a beer that is not much different from BMC then sure they will drink some but after wards they will go right back to BMC without a thought. But those you impress with a good Porter or something may atleast consider something from the craft brew section. And if they are already craft brew drinkers they will likely be more impressed.

Just a thought on my part. I have been going through similar considerations for a birthday party myself http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27644
However in my case this is the only beer available at the picnic. I plan on a Mild and Wit with some bottles of Porter, Stout, and a hoppy American Brown on hand. In your case I would brew a good Porter or Stout, maybe a little on the mellow side.

Craig

I like the idea of 2 kegs. One with something a bit mellower and one with a nice porter in it. Worst case is that I get to drink all the porter!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

the_bird said:
Of the three, I'd go with an APA myself. Ideally, you'd have two kegs - something light for the hardcore BMC'ers, and something a bit more your style (although not over-aggressive, maybe a nice, malty porter) for people who are a little more adventurous.

Do you think your APA would fit the bill? Looks good to me, but I haven't tasted it. :)

Back