Columbus/Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmobrewer

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried this combo. Gonna bitter with Columbus then it's all equal amounts of late hopping and dry hopping.

Any options/advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I tried it, and it was ok. Probably not my favorite- the dankness of Columbus with the grapefruit of Citra was a weird combo- not made better by the fact that I used 14% grist Crystal40 and Wyeast 1968 that only attenuated 65%-

Give it a shot and see how it works out for you, you may like it. I aged it a few months and it turned into a pretty enjoyable bitter Amber ale- so it turned out pretty good once the hops melded and dropped a bit. Not sure how great that combo works fresh though...

I think bittering with Columbus and then finishing with Citra would be fine, like the recipe above, but it doesn't seem like they would be a good combination together. I haven't tried it but I just can't see dank and citrus going well together.

I just used that combo in my ryeweizen. I had 0.6oz of Columbus that needed used. The Columbus went in with 20 minutes left in the boil and the Citra with 10 minutes left, for 33 IBU.

It's only 5 days in the fermenter, so I can't yet say how it will turn out. The sample after the boil tasted good.

I used Columbus to bitter and Citra at 20, 5, huge whirlpool, 2x dry hop all Citra. Was easily one of the best DIPAs I've brewed. I used 14-16oz of Citra in a 5.5gal batch.

I went a little columbus crazy last year. Matching it up with most of the C-hops. I thought it worked well.

I did citra-columbus as 2:1

Hmm ok, maybe I should just stick with what I know lol. Thanks!

Hell no! If it ain't broke you're not trying.

I guess it depends on what you're going for. I like the sound of the suggestion right above me, 2:1 citra:columbus, but I've never brewed it myself.

Hah yeah that is a good point. Maybe I'll just throw caution to the wind and try it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends on how bitter you want it. I don't like my ales too bitter, 30-35 IBU. I bitter with Cascade, and then Dry Hop with the Citra. That way you can really make the tropical flavors of Citra shine

Back