Show us your turkey fryers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my second batch but was thinking about getting a bigger pot. The pot I use now is a 12 quart. It did the trick but I still would rather get a bigger one. I think a 20 quart would be perfect but too big for my stovetop. So from what I have read here, that converted kegs(keggles) and turkey fryers are the most popular. I searched the net last night and saw a few different ones. One of them had a drain valve which I thought would be perfect to use for brewing. So I would like to know if those of you who use turkey fryers could post some pics of your fryer, along with the manufacturer and where you got it.

trainfever said:
I'm getting ready to brew my second batch but was thinking about getting a bigger pot. The pot I use now is a 12 quart. It did the trick but I still would rather get a bigger one. I think a 20 quart would be perfect but too big for my stovetop. So from what I have read here, that converted kegs(keggles) and turkey fryers are the most popular. I searched the net last night and saw a few different ones. One of them had a drain valve which I thought would be perfect to use for brewing. So I would like to know if those of you who use turkey fryers could post some pics of your fryer, along with the manufacturer and where you got it.

Mine has a drain valve, but I don't use it. I just siphon over the top. Get a 30-32qt turkey fryer, then you can go all grain when you are ready.

The top burner is one I got from HD for like $40 and it came with an aluminum 30qt pot and a bunch of deep frying stuff. But I have it bolted down to my stand and a 34qt stainless pot on it.
The lower one is one of the black Bayou Classic burners that I got for like $45 by it's self and I have a stainless 80qt pot on it. Both have ball valves and pickup tubes, thermometers, and the top one has a sight glass. My whole system is gravity feed.

MVC-613F.JPG

Grimy:
Does your pot seem to be top heavy? I just get the feeling that the way the legs are positioned that it wouldnt be too sturdy.

trainfever said:
Grimy:
Does your pot seem to be top heavy? I just get the feeling that the way the legs are positioned that it wouldnt be too sturdy.

It's super sturdy, I have the same one. I actually just got a keggle that I will be using on it. That pot is great to start, I've done about 20+ AG batches with it, but it boils over a little everytime, and it's SUPER annoying to have to babysit it for 60-90minutes. Just got my keggle in today, can't wait to brew this weekend :D :ban:

Here is mine. It is a Cook Chief. It is a double burner camp coooker that I put a high pressure regulator on. I can bring 2-6gallon batches to full boil from 50* tap water in about 20 min.

DSCF12251.jpg

DSCF12241.jpg

John

trainfever said:

Be careful of rushing in to a drain valve. You’ll need to modify the drain with a false bottom or a bazooka screen. I used a 30Qt turkey fryer and it’s a great size for 5-gallon full boils. I also just used a racking cane to transfer beer. If you step uyp some day to doing 10-gallon batches, the 15.5 gallon keggle is a nice choice. And…you can use the turkey fryer as your hot liquor tank.

10Gallon_Setup.JPG

Biermuncher, what are the dangers in using a drain valve? I thought it would be more conenient to drain the wort into the fermenting bucket through a strainer.

I use the king cooker
sturdy as all hell. Like an idiot I've grabbed the thing and drug it across the picnic table while boiling 11.5 gallons of wort. Hey, I needed to keep it out of the rain.

IMG_0322.jpg

The only cautionary measure with the drain valve as Biermuncher mentioned is some kind of filtering, you can clog the valve. Simple fix for me was install a barb (stainless) inside the kettle and use a stainless braid from a washing machine hose.

The valve in the pic was only used once (attempted) when I was using an immersion chiller. That's a 50qt (14 gallon) kettle. 15" dia.

I just picked up a turkey fryer yesterday that I found by posting a want ad on craigslist. It took about a week for someone to respond. He bought his daughter one that she used once. So he sold it to me for $25. I can't find the exact model on-line, but it looks like a king cooker.

I can't wait to take it for a spin with my first partial mash this weekend. (I also converted a couple plastic buckets to a mash tun yesterday)

Back