$130 for 4 Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was offered four 15.5 GAL kegs for $130 total. Most of what I've been able to find is 40 to 50 bucks or more each. Some dents & scratches but nothing major & still usable. So it seems legit to me. What do you think, brew buddies? I plan to cut a couple open and use for kettles, but save at least one to actually put beer in some day.

Thanks,

Nic

EDIT:
Added a photo of the kegs:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/130-4-kegs-256305/index2.html#post3094403

That's not bad. I always aimed for $30 each when I was in the market, so $32.50 isn't a bad deal.

go for it... then you could use one to ferment in too. It's hard to beat a sanitary vessel

Also... at my local metal yard, the weight of the stainless alone will fetch you 45 bucks per keg

Also... at my local metal yard, the weight of the stainless alone will fetch you 45 bucks per keg

The metal yards in Michigan will not under any circumstance accept a keg for scrap. I don't know the rules in other states.

I wasn't that lucky. Oh well. I don't feel I"m getting ripped off so I'll drive down & get them this week. Thanks for the input.

iaefebs, I wonder if you hacked up a keg enough that it didn't look like a keg.... if the scrap yard would then accept it for scrap :)

I got a good deal and everything (good for me! :rolleyes:), but I have to say that you're getting a very good deal, for sure. You won't regret it, I can tell you that.

I wonder if you hacked up a keg enough that it didn't look like a keg.... if the scrap yard would then accept it for scrap :)

That sort of talk is COMPLETELY off the mark!! How could you even THINK something like that

Think of the kegs. . . . *sniffs*

:D

:ban:
One of them (far left) has some sort of rubber coating on the top & bottom. I don't know what the purpose is, I would guess maybe to provide a tiny bit of cussion for whomever is carrying the thing around. But it also is nice & flat on the top (and bottom) rather than rounded, making it easier to stack another one on top.

Now I need to begin the process of cutting the tops open of a couple of them.

Kegs2.jpg

iaefebs, I wonder if you hacked up a keg enough that it didn't look like a keg.... if the scrap yard would then accept it for scrap :)

I would never try to hack up a keg to sell it for scrap. Too much work for so little return. In Michigan we are thumb printed whenever we sell scrap. The place I go to has very few signs posted for rules but the most prominent is "we do not accept or sell used kegs"

I would never try to hack up a keg to sell it for scrap. Too much work for so little return. In Michigan we are thumb printed whenever we sell scrap.

Agreed... it was more a joke than anything...unless they were made of gold. Obviously worth a lot more when it's still a keg than just scrap. I've never even sold any scrap metal so for all I know Oklahoma takes prints too.

Back