Zwanze 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried bottled Nath? I couldn't get over the nose, super sulphury and totally different from the kegged stuff

I had it in bottle <24 hours after bottling, so that's probably not a fair comparison on my part. I hope to try it again in December when I'm there. I am generally surprised though at the consistent trend of Jean putting bottles out (mostly for drink-in only) that are clearly way too young to be served. Nath was available consistently at the brewery probably 4 weeks or so after it was bottled and it hasn't left the list since. Some other bottlings of things like Kriek and Gambrinus have been distributed out of the brewery in about the same 5-8 week time frame.

Zwanze in Helsinki was the chillest event ever. (No pun intended... weather was nice!) Tiny line, 2+ pours per person, keg lasted 3 hours. There wasn't anything else interesting on tap (though I grabbed a regular Cantillon Gueuze and an Avec les Bons Voeux from the fridge) but sure beats spending $100 and/or waiting for hours at trendy bar du jour! Also, as a huge fan of oolong, this is the first beer I've tried that does the style justice: the vegetal/fruity notes pair perfectly with the underlying lambic.

(It would be fun to attend one of those Zwanztravaganzas in the future, however.)
Yeah we dont really have a large enough demand for it to be a ticketed event with all the bells and whistles. I'm not even sure if our alcohol laws allow it (don't quote me on that, our laws arent the best and somewhat archaic). Makes Zwanze a nice event to just arrive at and know there will be enough for everyone. Last year I managed to get four pours.

Was hoping to be at Fool's Gold in NY for Zwanze, but a cancelled and then poorly communicated new flight time had me spending a few more days in Amsterdam.

So....got to celebrate Zwanze at a random not really craft beer focused bar, but organized by De BierKoning. Cool enough place, but was disappointing that the first 'loon to be available was Zwanze at 9pm local time. Once that kicked, was pleased to get pours of Fou :).

Prior to Zwanze, had a glass of a random US sour/wild from VonSeitz Theoreticals. It was good, not amazing. Apparently, it was also served at Himmerliget in Copenhagen. They are from Tennessee. Anyone know of them ?

TLDR: missed NY :( ticked it in Amsterdam, where there was little Cantillon, so I also had a random AWA from a small TN brewer

Armsby Abbey in Worcester was pretty good, but expensive overall. Ticketed event that included food (waffle station, oysters and charcuterie station) - everything was still available until the end of the event. The line for drafts was long all day, probably taking 15-20 minutes to get through each time. Line for bottles was nonexistant and our group of four split a few.

Draft Fou kicked first, then Nath. They only had 6 Hommage bottles.

If I go again, I'd probably try to be closer to the front of the line to check in since that was a little slow and we almost missed out on the $90 Hommage bottles :rolleyes:
AOZPLcg.jpg

Armsby Abbey in Worcester was pretty good, but expensive overall. Ticketed event that included food (waffle station, oysters and charcuterie station) - everything was still available until the end of the event. The line for drafts was long all day, probably taking 15-20 minutes to get through each time. Line for bottles was nonexistant and our group of four split a few.

Draft Fou kicked first, then Nath. They only had 6 Hommage bottles.

If I go again, I'd probably try to be closer to the front of the line to check in since that was a little slow and we almost missed out on the $90 Hommage bottles :rolleyes:
AOZPLcg.jpg
Damn $50 for a OG! Was there a lube station as well?

Back