Zeus Hops anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
I recieved a care package from a friend of mine in Idaho--2lbs of whole zeus hops, straight from the field. I have never brewed with this variety before, any ideas? Since they came from fields grown for AB, i assume that my best bet is to make a lager with them. I know the AA is on the high side, but does anyone know the correct AA %?:mug:

correct AA%? big, really big. i have a couple ozs in the freezer that i think are 16+. don't assume anything. last time i took a wiff from the bag the odor was wonderful. AB only uses them because they use so little hops that they go for the highest AA% stuff around. i'm planning on using mine for a big ipa or something.

Zeus is a replacement for Columbus/Tomahawk.

BYO's hop chart has it listed with a AA rating in the range of 13%-17%, but there is no way to visually identify the rating of your hops.

Sounds like a great time for a SmasH beer to me.

Single malt and single hop.

Using just Zeus for bittering, flavor, and aroma will give you a great idea of what you personally like most about it. Also, using one type of malt, possibly one you already know you like, keeps the flavor profile focused on the hops.

Zeus... a pound resides in my freezer from Freshops. AWESOME stuff, and the basis for my IPA in the secondary.

Incredible... mine was 16.4

Eric

OK, you inspired me. Just ordered some from Fresh Hops ('cause they have Simcoe in, too, and I since I just got some Santiam and Amarillo, I'm going to work on my Smuttynose IPA clone, which, to me, is the Holy Grail).

Single malt and single hop.

Using just Zeus for bittering, flavor, and aroma will give you a great idea of what you personally like most about it. Also, using one type of malt, possibly one you already know you like, keeps the flavor profile focused on the hops.

Great idea Heinz, this i will do.

Latest posts

Back