yukon arctic red clone recipe problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
I just recently got the ingredients for an arctic red clone. the problem is that the og is supposed to be about 1.055

the recipe is an extract recipe and calls for 3.3 lbs LME and 2lb 2 oz of DME. in my recipe calculator that comes to an og of about 1.04

can anyone tell me if my calculator is wrong or if this recipe is perhaps wrong? it came from brew your own magazine, and i double checked the recipe on the net. they are the same. What do you all think?

I just looked at the recipe - maybe they are considering partial conversion on the specialty grains. Adding the grains and adjusting eff to anywhere from 53% - 57% gives you an OG of 1.054.

I usually think of 'steeping for flavor' and 'mashing for conversion and extraction', but if held at the right temp, 30 min should be long enough for some starches to convert, right?

Well, I just looked at the AG version at the bottom and I'm getting 1.057. hmmm...

In the description, it says it's a 5 gal batch, but in the directions for both the extract and AG versions, it states you should have a 5.5 gal yield. Perhaps that's the discrepancy.

Back