Yuengling now Biggest American Owned Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't distribute in Texas, but every time by BIL goes to South Carolina I request a case of their Black and Tan. Pretty good brew and CHEAP! Goes against all craft beer rules I have learned.

Haha yeah. Usually one of my go to beers for parties because the local distro sells their cases for less than any of the BMC beers. Not much less but I won't complain :D

Now that they've penetrated as far as Ohio, I've been enjoying the beers I've managed to get. It's good to see this. Hopefully it will mean they'll make it into Michigan soon. They're pretty solid offering. I'd never though I'd ever actually crave a straight lager, and I really like their "Traditional" Lager. I can't wait to try it actually on tap.

Now that they've penetrated as far as Ohio, I've been enjoying the beers I've managed to get. It's good to see this. Hopefully it will mean they'll make it into Michigan soon. They're pretty solid offering. I'd never though I'd ever actually crave a straight lager, and I really like their "Traditional" Lager. I can't wait to try it actually on tap.

It's great on tap, never has that skunky flavor the bottles have a tendancy to get. I especially enjoy it when we go up to the Poconos for snowboarding trips. The resort we go to is about 30 minutes from the brewery. It's a totally different beer when it's fresh .

They're NOT a craft brewery. They're just an older, still-around medium-sized brewery. [oldest in the nation, in fact]. Medium is when compared to the big boys like BMC.

To me.. Their Chesterfield, Porter, Black & Tan are very good. The Lager is OK. The Premium is horrible. I could be wrong here but I've only seen the premium around the Pottsville area, and only in REFILLABLE bottles at that! Those are excellent for homebrewers. The beer in it though, not so great. LOL

Yuengling opened up a brewery in Florida a few years ago, that's how it's made it's way down south, including here in SC.

M_C

I wonder if they are the largest American owned brewery because of growth, or because most of the big guys are now owned by foreign companies/congomerates.

Both - the article said that they're 8th overall, but they grew past Boston Brewing for the top spot of U.S. owned breweries.

I wonder if they are the largest American owned brewery because of growth, or because most of the big guys are now owned by foreign companies/congomerates.

M_C to each their own. I know they are not a craft beer but I consider them a gateway into the world of craft beers only because most of my friends were always hardcore BMC guys. I always preferred Yuengling until I started trying other brews out there. I know it the only correlation I'm making here is my friends telling me "Why drink that, have a bud/miller", but that is how I think. IMO its much better then any BMC beer and here in SE PA every bar has it, so its a good fallback.

Never had it but my roommate originally from South Jersey** talks it up. I need to try it :D

**Yeah, so apparently to S. Jersey, Philly is "The City" much like SF is "The City" to the rest of the bay area.

Get it here in Tennessee and it is my go to beer. Love the Light Lager for long drinking days in the summer, with an abv of 3.5 you get a lot of beer flavor and not a lot of drunk. Black and Tan is also a great one from them. We vacation mainly in Florida and now they have it there too. Keeps me from having to, wait, nevermind.

Both - the article said that they're 8th overall, but they grew past Boston Brewing for the top spot of U.S. owned breweries.

I first read this a couple of days ago and was suprised by this. Paticularly because the was a list I saw that came out last Spring which had Yuenglings selling more the BBC in 2010 so I'm not really sure that they past them this year. Here's the link from the list from the Brewer's Association press release, it shows Yuengling in 4th behind Pabst. Top 50 Breweries of 2010 revealed by Brewers Association | Beernews.org

Tell them to get up here in the Northeast! My buddy raved about this beer and when I tried it I was impressed...Yuengling is now a distance memory and I would love to have another go at it

Tell them to get up here in the Northeast! My buddy raved about this beer and when I tried it I was impressed...Yuengling is now a distance memory and I would love to have another go at it

They have Yuenling in NY, it's only like a 2-3 hour drive.

A coworker of my wife's recently visited relatives in Ohio and brought us back a case of Yuengling Porter. I don't especially care for the lager, but then I feel that way about most lager. The dark beers are good- I've had the Chesterfield, and I'd like to try the Black & Tan.

Latest posts

Back