An Open Letter on the Occasion of My First Brewing Anniversary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear HBT:

Earlier this month, I turned one-year-old as a brewer. I jumped into the hobby when the COVID panic started and my employer sent me home for telework. My first batch was one gallon of American Amber Ale, of which I quickly posted the inevitable "IS IT FERMENTING?" first-batch thread. Thanks to @RM-MN for being the first to answer my first post! That beer turned out fine, and I have learned so much from my HBT brothers and sisters since then: primarily RDWHAHB.

In that first year, I've brewed 16 batches (72 gallons) of beer, ranging from hefeweizens to milk stouts. I started with 1-gallon stovetop batches before quickly upgrading to 5-gallons using a converted water cooler MLT, outside propane burner, Spike kettle, starter stir-plate, and mini-fridge fermentation chamber. Soon, I hope to add a pump or two to my setup, and I want to start kegging down the road.

I've entered several competitions. I've placed 3rd with an IPA; 2nd with each of an amber, milk stout, and hefeweizen; and 1st with an all-Citra APA of my own design (which also took 2nd Best of Show). The feedback from the judges has been invaluable to my improvement as a brewer.

I've shared my beer with friends and family, and I've shared it in the Fellowship of the Home Brew group. That is a great group of guys and gals that love making and sharing good homebrew. Right now, I'm working through some fantastic beers from @DrGMG.

Whenever I have a brewing question, HBT is my first stop for information. Chances are that someone has already asked the same question. If not, someone else is sure to have the answer!

So, thanks to all you HBTers for being a big part of my first year as a homebrewer. Here's to many more years of homebrewing, with hopefully each batch better than the last! Have a beer tonight to celebrate with me!

:mug:

Sincerely,

3 Dawg Night

Well, you seem like you've been doing it forever. Cheers!

I too am a covid brewer. Been locked in with my girlfriend for a year. What did I learn? I love her and love brewing. I mean, I knew I loved her, but I didnt knew we could survive being together 24/7. Same way that some people gets to retirement only to realize that they can't live with their spouse.

And I love beer. Good beer. Hard to come by. Just look at this **** at my grocery store.are they targeting kids with those colors and milkshakes?
20210426_180027.jpg
20210426_180025.jpg

Congrats! I passed the 10 year mark last month.

Brewing is a great hobby that each homebrewer can take in whatever direction they choose. Remember that your way ain’t the only way and don’t take too seriously those who suggest that there can only be One True Way. :cool:

You've done well with the brewing thing. is your employers happy for you as we are? :bigmug:
My boss is a cool guy. He OK with some extracurricular while teleworking, as long as all of our work is getting done. Plus, he knows he has a few six-packs coming his way when we're all back in the office!

Wow, that super impressive. I've brewed for almost 10 years and still make bad beer habitually.
I say habitually rather than occasionally, as it's often my own hubris that causes it, it's not a random occurrence.
Never stop learning from your own mistakes, but preferably the mistakes of others.
Cheers!

Wow, that super impressive. I've brewed for almost 10 years and still make bad beer habitually.
I say habitually rather than occasionally, as it's often my own hubris that causes it, it's not a random occurrence.
Never stop learning from your own mistakes, but preferably the mistakes of others.
Cheers!

man i just opened up my plastic 15 gallon fermeneter, scooped out a cup or so of wort that been fermenting since yesterday....to try out this cool thing with the refractometer, compared too hydrometer to tell how much alcohol it has and OG...spot on but i left it open, and just dumped the grad cylinder of beer back in....f it, lol...i'm only saying this to make people feel better about them selves! just remember there's drug addicts in prison fermenting ketchup, ;) :mug:

Well done @3 Dawg Night ! Im similar to you. My first brew was in january 2020 and when the pandemic hit us hard and everything shut down in march, My brewing went into overdrive lol. ended up brewing 34 5-gallon batches in 2020 lol. shared lots, got lots of good feedback and still learning for sure. 2021 though Ive slowed down due to work. Only brewed 4 batches since the new year. While I haven't entered any competitions, my wife likes the beer a good bit which is key to continuing the hobby and having a happy marriage lol. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!

Cheers! :bigmug:

Congrats 3 Dawg Night!

I'm just over four months away from my 10-year home brewing anniversary. Easy to remember as I joined HBT the next day, with my first brewing question. Amazing I made it over 12 hours before I had to ask for advice! :yes:

Cheers to many more years for all of us!

Many many congratulations to you, not only on your competition wins, but your masters. My 30 year old daughter is completing hers this year and I couldn't be more proud. I didn't start entering competitions seriously until two years ago, then covid happened...and now I'm making the best beers of my homebrewing career and nowhere local to compete! Finally decided I don't care, I brew more for me than the kudos.

man i just opened up my plastic 15 gallon fermeneter, scooped out a cup or so of wort that been fermenting since yesterday....to try out this cool thing with the refractometer, compared too hydrometer to tell how much alcohol it has and OG...spot on but i left it open, and just dumped the grad cylinder of beer back in....f it, lol...i'm only saying this to make people feel better about them selves! just remember there's drug addicts in prison fermenting ketchup, ;) :mug:

And then wonder why the beers keep getting infections. But why?!

Nice post and congrats!

I agree that HBT is a great resource and my first reference point as well. It's amazing how quickly it serves up almost 20 years of homebrew posts and debates. Super helpful. So far, every problem I've come across, someone else already encountered, and there is a thread covering it (often, many of them). -So helpful but also reassuring.

My first batch was one gallon of American Amber Ale, of which I quickly posted the inevitable "IS IT FERMENTING?" first-batch thread. Thanks to @RM-MN for being the first to answer my first post!
Sounds like you’ve definitely been busy. I agree that HBT is a great resource for advice and information, as well as a good laugh once in a while. We all have to start somewhere. Although I’d been brewing for many years, I joined with the familiar “is this infected?” first post. I have also learned a lot here from many of the members and try to offer advice when I think I can help. I’m looking forward to trying your offer from the FotHB.
Sláinte

Dear HBT:

Earlier this month, I turned one-year-old as a brewer. I jumped into the hobby when the COVID panic started and my employer sent me home for telework. My first batch was one gallon of American Amber Ale, of which I quickly posted the inevitable "IS IT FERMENTING?" first-batch thread. Thanks to @RM-MN for being the first to answer my first post! That beer turned out fine, and I have learned so much from my HBT brothers and sisters since then: primarily RDWHAHB.

In that first year, I've brewed 16 batches (72 gallons) of beer, ranging from hefeweizens to milk stouts. I started with 1-gallon stovetop batches before quickly upgrading to 5-gallons using a converted water cooler MLT, outside propane burner, Spike kettle, starter stir-plate, and mini-fridge fermentation chamber. Soon, I hope to add a pump or two to my setup, and I want to start kegging down the road.

I've entered several competitions. I've placed 3rd with an IPA; 2nd with each of an amber, milk stout, and hefeweizen; and 1st with an all-Citra APA of my own design (which also took 2nd Best of Show). The feedback from the judges has been invaluable to my improvement as a brewer.

I've shared my beer with friends and family, and I've shared it in the Fellowship of the Home Brew group. That is a great group of guys and gals that love making and sharing good homebrew. Right now, I'm working through some fantastic beers from @DrGMG.

Whenever I have a brewing question, HBT is my first stop for information. Chances are that someone has already asked the same question. If not, someone else is sure to have the answer!

So, thanks to all you HBTers for being a big part of my first year as a homebrewer. Here's to many more years of homebrewing, with hopefully each batch better than the last! Have a beer tonight to celebrate with me!

:mug:

Sincerely,

3 Dawg Night
So awesome. Here is to many more years of productive homebrewing. Cheers.

Back